Sublime Forum

New logo discussion?

Nice.

But please PLEASE do not put any text in the icon. It’s an icon, not a logo.

0 Likes

Hey,

I had to change the default one, because (sorry guys) its really ugly! And since I was moving from TextMate Im used to search for that violet icon within application icons I decided to use the textmate one!

So here’s the preview

veryicon.com/icons/system/li … ate-2.html

Cheers!

0 Likes

Hi guys,

On Linux I have a constant issue with tab switching since the existing built in icon looks so much like a terminal. Saw this thread and just wanted to put in my 2c worth

looks good, has a bit of colour and can easily be used to establish visual branding.

0 Likes

Yet another try… Based on this dribbble by Lindsay Mindler: dribbble.com/shots/317512-Sublime-Text-2-Icon

I love Lindsay’s original but found that it didn’t reduce well in my dock.

0 Likes

Ah, I love it! Very nice. I do like that subtle green detail line in Lindsay’s original, but I can definitely see it getting lost & looking odd when reduced.

0 Likes

[quote=“doppopp”]http://i.imgur.com/tjfAO.jpg

Inspiration from Adobe icons.
Icon used is from iconSweets2[/quote]

I think that is the logo that should be used, it fits Sublime Text perfectly! No strange colours, images or type, it’s simple and an evolution of the current design.

I would say that the light grey area on the left hand side should be removed, and possibly a very subtle gradient from the top left to bottom right to help curve the front of the logo, similar to the CS3-4 logos…

After that, it would be useful to see it at the correct size for Windows 7 task bar and a standard OSX dock icon, to be sure that you can see the top part of the logo clearly.

Great work though, definitely gets my vote!

0 Likes

After looking for a replacement icon for a bit, I decided to take a stab at it myself. Used Blender 2.61 and tried out its new Cycling rendering engine, which really simplifies shader (material) creation, so it’s quite easy to get nice results. :smile:

You can get an .icns file and a huge PNG on Dribbble: http://drbl.in/cBaf

http://dribbble.com/system/users/31731/screenshots/354229/sublimetext2replacement.png?1324029318

0 Likes

Hey guys,

Here’s my stab at it. My eyes are pretty used to the TextMate icon, so I tried to go for something kinda TextMate-y.

Cheers!

Download the ICNS here:
shadowreactor.s3.amazonaws.com/S … 2.icns.zip

0 Likes

Thank you! Finally an icon that doesn’t look like Terminal and doesn’t look like crap :smiley:

Now I just need to wait for ST2 to stabilize so I don’t have to keep replacing the icon every time it updates :smiley:

0 Likes

I have a Ruby script I run after each release that updates ST2 with my favourite icon. It’s a single command from a Terminal (which I generally have open all the time anyway).

If you’re on a Mac (I really don’t guarantee anything else) it’s here:

gist.github.com/3d55b1272a126393aed5

Before the first time you run it do this:

$ fix-sm2-icon ~/Downloads/whatever.icns

This reads, encodes and embeds “whatever.icns” within the Ruby script itself (self-modifying)

Then whenever you want to fix the icon, just do:

$ fix-sm2-icon

This extracts the embedded icon in to the right place.

0 Likes

@shadowr,

Did you just take that pen directly from textedit’s icon?

0 Likes

yep

0 Likes

Hey!

Here are my 2 cents building on other’s work from this thread:
This one is with emboss (same color and style as the outer white edge).

And this is more like a glowing overlay, like some seen here before.

The idea with these (if not clear at first sight) is that S for Sublime, and angle brackets (inequality signs) are merged into one symbol.

Other idea I liked which either I will explore further, or others can take this direction further if they like:
Code in the background with a simplified interface (tabs, code, minimap, etc) exposed within the white borders.

Feel free to work towards this direction if you like it, I might do so too.

0 Likes

With this thread being so long, I have to wonder if this comment/question will ever make it before the eyes of those it needs to, but it’s worth a try …

So many have submitted possible replacements for the icon that it will likely be a very difficult decision if/when the decision makers deal with it. Might it be possible to load an icon dynamically out of Packages/User? If that were possible, then each user could use the icon s/he prefers and it would survive upgrades. As it is now, I have a personal favorite that I replace after each upgrade, and I just moved it to Packages/User so I’ll remember where it is. That triggered the idea.

Just a thought…

Peace.

0 Likes

I think it’s a great idea to make the icon configurable. That way, everybody can use what s/he likes.

(As far as the official logo goes, I like wizek’s idea of >< arranged in S shape. Representational without being literal. I may say, iconic :smile:

Incidentally, on Windows, it’s easy enough to change the icon of a shortcut, but to change the icon of the running task, you need to make an ICO file and replace the resource in the exe. So it’s a bit of a bother.

0 Likes

hi andyjeffries,
Great script!, but its weird I have to logout and login again to see the updated icon, any ideas?

0 Likes

[quote=“msthmnd”]hi andyjeffries,
Great script!, but its weird I have to logout and login again to see the updated icon, any ideas?[/quote]

Restarting the app should be enough. On OS X I usually just update the icon by hand;

1. Right-click Sublime Text 2.app
  2. Show Package Contents
  3. open “Contents”, then “Resources”
  4. paste/drag your replacement icon (has to be named “Sublime Text 2.icns” and of the “Apple icon image” format)
  5. if currently open, close and reopen Sublime Text 2

The only think I am not 100% certain of is whether you need Apple’s developers tools (Xcode) installed for the Show Package Contents to work. But if you do have these, they also come with /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.app which lets you assemble your own icon, which you can then save as “Sublime Text 2.icns” for use with ST2.

I have my 3D-S-thingie icon saved and can just drag it into the Contents/Resources directory should an update “break” my custom icon. :smile:

0 Likes

@smoofles

• thanks for the reply, here’s the thing, if I update the icon by hand, and restart the app, I don’t need to logout, but if I used the script, I know the icon is updated if I checked it under Resources, but I have to logout to see the change.
0 Likes

If anyone’s interested, my alternative icon can be found here: http://boundincode.com/#portfolio

0 Likes

[quote=“smoofles”]On OS X I usually just update the icon by hand;

1. Right-click Sublime Text 2.app
  2. Show Package Contents
  3. open “Contents”, then “Resources”
  4. paste/drag your replacement icon (has to be named “Sublime Text 2.icns” and of the “Apple icon image” format)
  5. if currently open, close and reopen Sublime Text 2
    [/quote]

You can also just Get Info on the app, then drag the new icon into the icon spot in the upper-left of the info window.

0 Likes