Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

ST2 visual theme editor and more

Re: ST2 visual theme editor and more

Postby dsarch on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm

I really would love to hear more about this.

Seems pretty cool, thanks for the facets tip, gotta read more about it.

Thanks !
dsarch

Postby dmorrill on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:08 pm

sublimator wrote:Count me as interested. I'd like a pythonic GUI framework outside of Sublime as well.

Well, Facets should certainly fit the bill for that, and that's the ways its used most often. This is my second experience using Facets as an embedded framework. The first was with the NewTek LightWave 'Core' application (a 3D graphics package ala Maya, modo, ...). The Facets embedding looked very promising, but unfortunately NewTek ended up terminating developing of the Core project.

sublimator wrote:Have you read "Facets & Traits of Model Driven, Reactive Programming" by David Morrill? A good read.

Traits is the name of the first version of the package I wrote. Facets is its much improved second generation younger sibling. I'm trying to get it to an "alpha" release now. After 9 years of development it's pretty stable, but since there are still a couple of subsystems that need major overhauls before it reaches a 1.0 level, I'm only ready to classify it as an "alpha", since I'm reserving the right to redo some APIs in a non-backward compatible manner.

sublimator wrote:Definitely interested and would help out in any way you need.

Well, if you're willing to get involved with "alpha" level code, I'll put you on the list...
dmorrill

Postby dmorrill on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:30 pm

sublimator wrote:What 'list' do you mean?

At this point there is no official "alpha" release, so the "list" is virtual. I'm not ready to throw open the doors to the general public, because of the future potential for API breakage, but if anyone really, really wants to get their hands dirty now, they're welcome to, provided they can live with the possibility of having to make changes to their code in the future for the 1.0 release. BTW, these won't be changes every couple of days. They're likely to be just a couple of big changes that happen somewhere along the road to 1.0 that will come with plenty of warning. And unless you've already got 100,000 LOC written, even those won't be that big a deal. So PM'ing me is fine for now if you want to get early access to the code.

sublimator wrote:How are you running the event loop? Periodic sublime.set_timeout ?

No, that was part of the Eureka moment. After coming up with lots of weird schemes that might or might not work very well, I finally decided to try using the normal Facets API. And guess what...it worked! So the secret is that there isn't anything special you have to do to make it work (other than making sure that all the right external libraries and packages end up being in the ST2 sys.path.

I could speculate as to why it just works out of the box, but since the creator of ST2 doesn't seem to provide much detail about how ST2 is written, I won't either :-)
dmorrill

Postby dmorrill on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:09 pm

sublimator wrote:Interesting. Does the Facets have a backend system like TraitsUI seems to?

Yes, although its been totally re-architected in Facets.

sublimator wrote:Were you using qt or wx?

Qt (that's a big hint there :-) )

sublimator wrote:ps. I PM'd ya to get my hands dirty

Yup, got it. Already e-mailed you a reply...
dmorrill

Postby Jay Levitt on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:48 pm

dmorrill wrote:I spent a few hours at my local Starbucks and quickly had a first pass at a TextMate theme editor GUI up and running.

...!

I just thought I'd drop by to see if there might be any community interest in this work.

I just thought I'd mention we might be slightly interested if we're not too busy.

YES YES YES YES YES YES
Jay Levitt

Postby NorthIsUp on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:38 pm

I am very interested in the facets library, please count me in as an alpha user :)
NorthIsUp

Postby Fed03 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:39 am

can't wait for the first public release..nid something to tweak the syntax highlighting
Fed03

Postby s992 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Have there been any updates on this? Seems like a great tool.

If not, are there any similar applications?
s992

Postby skube on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 pm

I would love this!
skube

Postby Kensai on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:21 am

As a representative of the non-coding users of ST2, I'd like to say that this would be very useful for us as well.

Thanks,
Kensai
Kensai

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion