Sublime Forum

Improve Speed

When I first installed Sublimetext2 several months ago, my favorite feature was how fast and lightweight it felt.

Almost a year later, I am even more in love with Sublimetext2 however the speed and lightweight seem to not be what they once were.

I did have a few extra packages running like the FTP one and the package manager and one called AAAPackageDev, I have since uninstalled all of them except for package manager. I stay up to date with the latest versions of Sublimetext2. I am on a PC with 12gb ram

So the question, is there other things I can do to improve the performance and speed? For example there are a lot of languages supported that I will most likely never use, if I were to remove there syntax files and snippet files for those languages, would that help with performance at all?

0 Likes

In general, Sublime Text 2 should be considerably faster now that it was in the early versions. Memory usage has been improved, less IO is done at startup, less CPU work is done at startup, more IO has been moved off the main thread, and important optimisations have landed in each beta. Only a handful of features have been introduced which incur a performance overhead (e.g., subpixel glyph positioning, indent guides), but it’s a minimal overhead in each case.

Some plugins are known to cause severe performance issues. However, if you don’t have any, it may be helpful to give more details on the kinds of performance issues you are seeing.

0 Likes

I have uninstalled everything and started over fresh, then reinstalled a few plugins and everything is lightning fast like it was like a year ago when I first started using. I always keep the program updated with the latest version so I assume it must of been something in my user folder causing the problems all this time, very happy to have it resolved though! Thanks for building the best editor

0 Likes

I had to start over with my plugins as well. I think there may be an issue where settings and other files aren’t getting updated when new builds come out. Not sure. Either way, ditching my plugins/settings and re-running initial setup has worked wonders on the speed.

0 Likes