Sublime Forum

Using one panel for code, 2nd panel for output

Is it possible to have one panel for code and the 2nd panel for output? See attached screenshot for example.

0 Likes

Ya, see no reason for output pane to be different than other windows and not benefit from layouting and persistent dimensions etc. that normal windows enjoy.

0 Likes

Looked in the API but there’s no layout API so I’m not sure I could move the output pane to one of them tabs. I think it would be nice to at least have a choice of horizontal split or vertical split for the output pane. This, and the lack of output pane integration with the code (i.e. navigate the source code from the stack trace shown in the output pane) is the only thing that keeps me me from switching from scite.

0 Likes

There is no reason you can’t output to another regular buffer instead of an output panel. One thing you’ll find with Sublime is that a very large percentage of the functionality is implemented via commands and they are called via the run_command() method of the API. Check out the default key bindings to see what commands to run to split the windows, focus the group and create a new file.

0 Likes