Sublime Forum

1.2 Released

While I expect most forum readers are already using a beta version, for those that aren’t, stable version 1.2 is now available. This encompasses all the changes in the beta between 20090210 and 20090620. Please read the blog for a summary of all the changes.

I’d like to thank everyone for all the suggestions, thoughts, bug reports, plugins and support on the forums. Without your collective encouragement, 1.2 would have never existed.

0 Likes

Great! Thank you very much for this.

Note: You might want to update the site’s download links with this, as they still point to 1.05 :smile:

0 Likes

They do? They’re linking to 1.2 for me… perhaps a caching issue?

0 Likes

Thank you very much for all improvements :smile:
But…
The main problem with recent version of SB is IMNHO related to lack of documentation.
There were a lot of changes last time with not reflected documentation.
If Sublime claims to be an excelent editor for programmers it should provide well documented API, commands reference and so on.
For example, I’m going to create online theme editor for Sublime and I have a lot of problems with structure of theme file.
There is no information about list of valid keywords, or there are strange characters inside (see Doctype/XML Processing, Meta.tag, etc…)
The same situation is in documentation for snippets (are there any?).
Binding to keys were changed but there are no appropriate documentation for this.
Another problem is related to plugins because there is no information about version of plugin/snippet despite the list of them is growing up and it is hard to determine what was changed according to them in a new version. In my opinion there should be a field with this information in plugins API?
In conclussion, maybe this is a good time to tidy up whole project before another exciting features will be implemented :wink:

PS. If my theme editor will be done I’ll share it with the community :smile:

regards,
Artur

0 Likes

Go upmod this guys:

reddit.com/r/programming/com … n_windows/

Lorenzo

0 Likes

Yup! Maybe someone could also make a review/blog post that we could digg

Lorenzo

0 Likes

congrats on the stable release :smiley:

0 Likes

Typical software has a version number. Because the plugin is such piece of software it should contain this number.
If plugin is updated - revision is updated. Pretty simple :smile:
In the future, if Sublime will have hundreds of plugins :wink: it would be great idea to have option like Plugin manager where this revision number will be displayed and allow the user to update plugin package automatically (like PyPi).

It’s a great idea. But I will prefer built-in mechanism.
Maybe simple revision control system should be included in core of Sublime?

regards,
Artur

0 Likes

personally, one of the only things i feel sublime is not doing things right is with the plugin system. not that i am saying the plugins or other enhancement are not good, to the contrary, i love it, but their management is very poor.

in the past we had a discussion over it, and few of us (including me) said they use some kind of revision control for this. i feel this is not the right solution. let me describe some examples:

• i use CTags plugin, how can i know if i am up to date? how can i check the latest version, but also fall back if some bug slipped in?

• i wrote some snippets for erlang, will they be there (Packages/Erlang) also on the next version update? won’t they be overridden? can i be sure? and if someone else just wrote snippet with the same name? and how can i even know if a new snippet with the same name exists already?

• why do i need the Groovy package (no offense groovy guys) if i don’t even know for what it is?

• how can i distribute my snippets/plugins easily between my friends and co-workers? some of them wrote already their versions, how can they choose?

• i wrote a new package, do i need to zip it and expect them to extract it on %appdata%/…/Packages? and what if they and me still keeping adding changes? how will we merge it all? if we chose to use a revision control, do i expect from each of them to (1) svn update (2) copy to %appdata%/…/Packages (3) still, what about merges? or should they svn the appdata%/…/Packages itself?

i think that if we solve those issues, we’ll have a dream-machine. as jon said, sublime is going to rely on enhancements, plugins, snippets. so their management should be a breeze, easy to pick and add, easy to use. last steps on the snippets, was wonderful, lets keep it up :smile:

vim.

0 Likes

I have no idea where, but IMHO it should be a common place like PyPi.
Plugins repository is growing up and due to the fact that most of them don’t have any information about author, version and description it will be a problem in the future.
It would be a good practise to add the following variables to plugin body: author and version.
Documentation can be done on module level (docstrings).

It’s an excellent idea and it can be easily done by a programmer. Sublime is a text editor for programmers so geeks can have some problems with that :wink:

0 Likes

one of the only features i loved on e when i checked it out was the bundle system. i liked that i can choose what to actually have on my PC, i liked the ability to check for updates, and choose to update bundles, and i liked how it was integrated int the editor. i must say, i didn’t used e much time so i don’t know the flaws this solution might have.

0 Likes

Do you think that "svn update sublime…. is a natural way to determine what was changed in plugins/configuration since last time?
Most software I’ve ever seen use simpler pattern: revision and release notes.

Yes I agree with you but since Sublime use Python, some features can be done using pythonic way :wink:
According to docstrings - it was only a proposal due to the fact that a lot of plugins will be provided as a single file.

Yes and no :wink:
Compare the following screens:
pypi.python.org/pypi/Pylons/0.9.7 or
plugins.jquery.com/project/fullcalendar
to
sublimetextwiki.com/pages/SearchInFiles.html
The first contains a lot of usefull information about plugin - the second is completely useless (I apologize for a choice :wink:).

PyPi was an idea how it can be accomplished.
I think that we need simpler system because community is respectively smaller.

It depends on who have access to edit such information :smile:
I think that simple wiki page or phpBB forum is too static to do that (and doesn’t have an integration with SVN or Git).
Maybe CMS like Plone or other simple solution? Hosting is cheap, e.g. Webfaction account - 10$ per year :smiley:
If it will be based on the Python I’m ready to help.

I know, that above information maybe is related to systems with big community and lot of plugins but AFAIK Sublime claims to be a piece of software entirely based on plugins so IMHO should provide proper platform for this.

0 Likes

Sublime doesn’t actually claim this at all. The only claim I can see on the site is that Sublime has a Python API.

The plugin situation we have right now is fairly simple, ad-hoc, and almost entirely separated from the product itself.

• A handful of developers happen to share some stuff using Subversion.
  • I’ve written a build script that converts the Subversion trunk into sublime-package files.

And that’s it. There’s no official involvement at all, no official plugin site. No official anything. Just me setting up a free google code repo and a build script, and other people committing code.

Now, something like pypi or firefox’s addin site or rubygems would be great, but we’re nowhere near that situation.

But we really are wide open to develop things however we like.

0 Likes

it seems these are the options people said here to handle the community enhancements:

1. web based - on a server, firefox add-in like

2. internal - handled by sublime itself, textmate/e like

3. up to the user - what we have right now :smile:

it might be good to discuss pros/cons, and to jon to give his opinion, and decide what he wants to do with this discussion.

0 Likes

Nothing like a full solution, but maybe a piece to build on; the package downloader plugin now lets you download your choice of packages from the repo, direct from inside sublime.

Demo

[sublimetextwiki.com/steve/de ... loader.swf](http://www.sublimetextwiki.com/steve/demo-of-downloader.swf)

Get it here;

[sublimetextwiki.com/pages/Pa ... oader.html](http://www.sublimetextwiki.com/pages/PackageDownloader.html)
0 Likes

Thx for the release.
I definitely love the confort brought by coding with sublime. To such a point I was thinking about switching from Flash Develop for my actionscript projects.

So, I have a question ; does sublime support textmate bundles (blog pages talks about textmate ‘snippets’…), and in particular the one developped for actionscript3 (svn.textmate.org/trunk/Review/Bu … .tmbundle/) ?

Thx for any hints.

0 Likes

In theory you can just download the ActionScript3.tmLanguage file from the link you posted, and place it in a package (i.e., select preferences/browse packages and make a new folder), but that particular file has a quirk (an empty rule definition containing nothing but a todo comment), that Sublime Text isn’t happy with, so it will refuse to load it. I’ll change that for the next beta.

0 Likes

Thx for your answer :smile:

0 Likes