Sublime Forum

Community Packages Web Interface, w/ Instant Search!

My latest contribution to the Sublime community is a web interface to browse and get stats on the community packages available through Package Control.

wbond.net/sublime_packages/community

I’ve only been gathering stats for around 18 hours, but there is a fairly significant amount of information in there already. If you are a Package Control user and don’t want to submit usage statistics, you can set the submit_usage setting to false (wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa … l/settings).

Update (12/21/2011)
After less than a week the stats are up to well over 8,000 users and 26,000 package installs!

0 Likes

Fantastic. That’s great work!

0 Likes

Excellent!

0 Likes

Nice, thanks. Do disabled packages also count as installs?

There are some surprisingly low numbers for some excellent plugins… interesting.

0 Likes

[quote=“senzo”]Nice, thanks. Do disabled packages also count as installs?

There are some surprisingly low numbers for some excellent plugins… interesting.[/quote]

Yes, for the initial import, all packages that had evidence of being installed via Package Control are counted. There is no tracking of packages being disabled.

It is still pretty early from a statistics point of view since it has been less than 24 hours, however I would imagine sampling almost 1000 users already would give a general idea of the install percentages. I’ve been keeping an eye on it since yesterday and most of the percentages have stayed the same since around 100-200 users had submitted.

One possible reason for the low number for many plugins may be due to the fact that their readme files actively encourage using git, or manually downloading the package instead of using Package Control. I know that many of the plugins with high numbers have been promoted in popular blogs that also encourage using Package Control.

0 Likes

Thanks! This is nice.

0 Likes

Outstanding thank you!

0 Likes

Great work!

0 Likes

Goodah shit dude!

[quote]
Install stats are based on a sampling of 5279 installs over 1366 users. Of those users, the platform breakdown is:

49% OS X[/quote]

Interesting.

0 Likes

It’s really interesting watching this grow. It gives you an idea of how many people are using sublime and how they’re using it.

0 Likes

Very nice! Nice to see people using my extension, it’s certainly gives me focus to try improve it for those people

0 Likes

I also just updated the instant search to exclude the URLs and some of the other text. This allows for searches such as “git” to have useful results.

0 Likes

Very nice, Thanks!

0 Likes

Today I added the ability to sort by the date added and I set it as the default. In addition, there is an RSS feed that lists the newest packages. wbond.net/sublime_packages/community

0 Likes

How come I never knew this existed??! This is frickin awesome, Will. Thank you so much!

0 Likes

Will, what are the semantics of “# Installs”?

0 Likes

That number is the raw number of reported installs via the usage reporting mechanism built into Package Control. The percentage is the percentage of the total number of users.

The total number of users is calculated by finding the total number of unique combinations of IP address and platform. While surely this number is overinflated by users installing packages while on different networks, it is also reduced by the fact that many networks are NAT’ed, meaning that multiple users will appear as one. This seems like the best compromise. I didn’t want to use Package Control installs since a user can deinstall and then reinstall, which would register as 2 users.

0 Likes

Thank you. After looking at .record_usage() I knew that there must be a server side logic as well.

0 Likes

Great, thanks! I was contemplating requesting that very feature…

0 Likes