Sublime Forum

Help Switching from TextPad

I just discovered Sublime Text yesterday and for the most part I really like it. I’ve been using TextPad for some years now, and there are hiccups I’ve run into while switching. Most of these are simply key bindings I haven’t figured how to set. I can’t figure out how to set key bindings for:

]Delete Line/]
]Toggle Wordwrap/]
]Capitalize the first letter in each word that’s selected/]

I’m also having a very hard time figuring out macros. In TextPad (and other editors I’ve used), I can record a macro to do something like: Find Next, cut the selected text, jump to the end of the line, and paste the text I cut. However, Sublime seems to ignore the Find Next, and also any arrow keys that are pressed. Is there some way to change that behavior? It seems as thought the usefulness of macros is very limited without those abilities.

0 Likes

Take a look at the Edit/Line and Edit/Convert Case menus. For toggling word wrap, there isn’t a dedicated key binding by default, but it is accessible via the Command Palette, so you can toggle via Ctrl+P,ww,enter.

0 Likes

I can’t believe I missed the Title Case command. I was able to add it into my keymaps by adding:

{ "keys": "ctrl+shift+u"], "command": "title_case" }

I didn’t see “title_case” in the default key bindings file anywhere, but I was able to guess and it worked out. However, I couldn’t guess on the proper values for either “Delete Line” or “Toggle Wordwrap”. It’s possible that they don’t exist, but is there any way to see the entire list of commands available for key binding somewhere?

0 Likes

Delete Line already has a key binding, which is listed in the Edit/Line menu.

The best place to find the available commands is to look in the menu file, in Packages/Default/Main.sublime-menu.

0 Likes

Thanks! That took care of the key bindings. Now I just need to figure out the macros.

0 Likes