Sublime Forum

Thoughts on ST2... Some ideas, some questions

Ok, so Iā€™ve been using Sublime Text 2 for about 2 months now as my main editor. Took me a while to get things transitioned over, but I think Iā€™m in a good place now. Only a few niggling issues that I havenā€™t found answers for, and maybe thatā€™s because there arenā€™t answers for them. :smile: But I figured some of you all may be able to point me in the right direction.

So my issues so far:

1. Sidebar
  • Is there anyway to make it not show file contents on selection (when navigating with the keyboard)? Or a way to exclude filetypes from the ā€œpeekā€ view?

• Are there any hooks into file managing when navigating with the keyboard? For instance, Iā€™m arrowing through a folder structure and see that I want to rename a file. I have to leave the keyboard and right click to rename. I think TextMate 2 does this well: Enter to rename. CMD+Down Arrow to open. CMD+Delete to move to the trash.

1. Code Folding
  • I find the code folding ā€œokā€. It works well enough that I can get by, but ideally I think this is another feature TextMate has nailed.

• I wish there was one toggle key for open/close when youā€™re even near a toggle point.

• Iā€™d like the folded block to shrink all the way upon itself. Right now it leaves the closing tag on itā€™s own line, but itā€™d be great if it compressed it all to one line.

Example from TextMate:
https://img.skitch.com/20111215-t7mr7q4e5bpx1icfux7ga9chdj.jpg

1. Indention
  • Overall this is perfect, but Iā€™d love to be able to control how much indention there is on a hanging line, and also make sure that tags are automatically wrapped (if theyā€™d be split in between opening/closing). This is something I think Coda does perfectly.

Example from Coda:
https://img.skitch.com/20111215-87y8rrbs2mhfakrypxryw2rs5u.jpg

So, basically, nothing majorā€¦ just some niggles here and there. Overall, I love Sublime Text 2. I think you, jps, have done a fantastic job on this editor. It has everything I could need with, sometimes, too much extensibility. Hah! :open_mouth:

And, if these are things that are widely knownā€¦ I apologize. I tried searching, but just didnā€™t come up with much.

Thanks for any/all help, & thoughts!

0 Likes

re #1: look at binary_file_patterns in global settings

I too think the code folding implementation rather odd. I donā€™t like it that the code folds into a single char that you can delete like any regular char. 95% of the time I do not want to just delete a block of code like that. It also looks too much like an = sign. I would prefer some kind of wider graphic or a block of multiple characters, like ā€¦]. It should be selectable in some way and you need to select it before being able to delete it. Also, there should be some indication on the gutter.

0 Likes

Thatā€™s not possible, however, with the new hexidecimal encoding, this shouldnā€™t be a big problem because even large png files open quickly, so no harm done.

I really like that idea. I rarely use the keyboard navigation for the sidebar; I just donā€™t see a need since I have the GoTo anything. I use Titoā€™s sidebar enhancements to add some functionality to the sidebar, but that still involves mouse navigation, so I usually just keep the sidebar hidden.

This is possible if you use Selection > Expand to Scope. Just expand the selection until you have what you want to fold then press ā€œFold.ā€ Alternatively, you can Select by tag, indentation, or brackets.

0 Likes

Thanks for the helpful replies! :smile:

0 Likes