Sublime Forum

Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

[quote=“JeromeM”]Hi,

I have a problem using SFTP with SSH Key file.
When asked for the Passphrase, the window close after 2/3sec, and i have the “failure (Connection timeout)” error.

I’ve tried changing the “connect-timeout” setting, but it doesn’t change anything.

I’m on Windows and everything else seems ok …

Thanks[/quote]

I’m working on replicating this now. There should be a fix with 1.6.3.

[quote=“BomBin”]Any chance to have all the FTP content in the sidebar? Just like a project. Very annoying to go to “browser FTP” each time I want to open a file. that way I could also click cmd+p and find what I want immediately.

If you do that, I’ll definitely buy it.

Thanks.[/quote]

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to manipulate the sidebar via an API in Sublime. I’ve had quite a number of requests for this, so I plan on asking Jon if that is something he would consider adding. The downside is that there aren’t many, if any, other plugins that would need to manipulate the sidebar in such a way, so it is of limited use.

In terms of browse via key command, you can press ctrl+alt+u+w (or cmd+ctrl+u+w on OS X) to browse remotely at the current file, which is the equivalent of ctrl+p.

0 Likes

Okay thank you, but it isn’t very comfortable if I accidentaly click something else than what I want, or I go to Chrome to check something and the control panel disappears…

0 Likes

In your case, I’d probably look into buying Expandrive (expandrive.com/). I believe there is a 30-day free trial. It mounts a remote server as a local drive or folder, and then you can use the built-in sidebar to browse your code.

0 Likes

expandrive is extremely slow. I get it up on Sublime Text 2 and it takes something like 2 minutes to load a folder. Is there anything faster?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Also, after a while I don’t use the editor, I try to reconnect to the server and it says “multiple connections, giving up” and then I try again and it crashes.

0 Likes

I am unable to replicate this issue. If you can reproduce it, please generate a debug log following the instructions on support@wbond.net.

0 Likes

Please check the console (ctrl+`) and see if any errors are listed there. If you email me at support@wbond.net, I can be sure to help you. Unfortunately the forum here isn’t the best place for support since there aren’t any notifications of replies.

0 Likes

I’m having the same issue. This is pretty common in any ftp access where there isn’t a keep-alive setting on the server or ftp client. It would be nice if Sublime SFTP would just auto-reconnect when a connection timeout occurred.

0 Likes

It would be nice if plugins could add additional information to the side bar, such as file modes, file size, file mtime. It would be nice if the side bar could be used for version control, such as showing the version when a file was last modified, whether the file is modified w.r.t. the repository (as per “hg status”, for example), or the list of patches as in “hg qseries -v”. Or maybe even a history browser that displays the output of “hg log” (or equivalent) and would allow me to navigate to each change set to inspect it more closely (the detail would be shown on the right).

It would be nice if the side bar could show an outline of the current document, such as the list of things shown by Command+R. This could be classes and methods for programming languages and sections and subsections for, say, LaTeX documents.

Does this make it “of limited use”?

Happy New Year.

0 Likes

[quote=“fmeetze”]

I’m having the same issue. This is pretty common in any ftp access where there isn’t a keep-alive setting on the server or ftp client. It would be nice if Sublime SFTP would just auto-reconnect when a connection timeout occurred.[/quote]

Sublime SFTP does automatically reconnect when a disconnection occurs – it just appears you’ve run into some situation that no-one else has run into and sent me info about. Please visit support@wbond.net.

Unfortunately, detecting disconnections has been more complicated than I would have guessed. :smile: So far I’ve tracked down at least 10 different ways python will fail with an FTP disconnection using ftplib and a whole host of separate issues with the OpenSSH sftp program and psftp. The changelog includes a rather lengthy list of the number of releases I’ve made that include fixes for various disconnection error modes.

With any luck I will have version 1.7.0 out later tonight or tomorrow which will include some features to help in capturing info about previously unreported errors.

0 Likes

[quote=“hibbelig”]

It would be nice if plugins could add additional information to the side bar, such as file modes, file size, file mtime. It would be nice if the side bar could be used for version control, such as showing the version when a file was last modified, whether the file is modified w.r.t. the repository (as per “hg status”, for example), or the list of patches as in “hg qseries -v”. Or maybe even a history browser that displays the output of “hg log” (or equivalent) and would allow me to navigate to each change set to inspect it more closely (the detail would be shown on the right).

It would be nice if the side bar could show an outline of the current document, such as the list of things shown by Command+R. This could be classes and methods for programming languages and sections and subsections for, say, LaTeX documents.

Happy New Year.[/quote]

I was just referring to create “fake” file entries for remote files and folders, that is all! I know there are a whole host of ways plugins could change and augment the side bar. :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“wbond”]

Happy New Year.

I was just referring to create “fake” file entries for remote files and folders, that is all! I know there are a whole host of ways plugins could change and augment the side bar. :smile:[/quote]

“Just”? I haven’t looked at how your sftp plugin does things, but I would expect that Jon would need to provide an API to add arbitrary entries to the side bar, and to have arbitrary code run when they are accessed. And that would be the general functionality one could use to implement all the other things I mentioned.

I can’t really imagine how Jon could provide an API that would be less general.

0 Likes

[quote=“C0D312”]I seem to have discovered a small issue. When I use the “local to remote sync,” it opens a connection and works flawlessly. Then a few minutes later, I might make another edit. When I press “local to remote sync,” it connects, prompts me if I want to overwrite, I select yes, then it gives my a timeout error. If I restart st2, and the press local to remote sync, it works again flawlessly.

It seems that the plugin is not properly closing the connection because this issue occurs frequently. But besides that, it’s awesome.

Thanks again for all your work.[/quote]

I believe this should be fixed in version 1.7.0.

[quote=“natebeac”]There’s really only one thing stopping me from purchasing this. I noticed there is “Upload file on save”, how about a “Download file on open (if newer)”

Most editors plugins I’ve tried that do FTP have somewhat of a “sync” when I open a file - that is, checking if the remote file has been modified after the local copy. If it has been modified after, then download the newest version on the spot. I do a lot of personal work off a cloud server (not production) and am forced to use FTP.

Therefore, if I checkout out another branch in the remote workspace via git, there’s a good chance my local copy will become stale and will muck up my current workspace if I don’t explicitly download each file I open.[/quote]

Version 1.7.0 has a new setting, sync_down_on_open which should accomplish what you are looking for.

[quote=“tito”]Is there any chance to get the menuitems under “sidebar” and “context menu” organized under a “FTP” submenu?
Thanks[/quote]

I’ve completely restructured the menus for version 1.7.0, so everything is now under an SFTP/FTP sub-menu in the side bar context menu, editor context menu and file menu.

This is fixed in version 1.7.0.

[quote=“JeromeM”]Hi,

I have a problem using SFTP with SSH Key file.
When asked for the Passphrase, the window close after 2/3sec, and i have the “failure (Connection timeout)” error.

I’ve tried changing the “connect-timeout” setting, but it doesn’t change anything.

I’m on Windows and everything else seems ok …

Thanks[/quote]

This is fixed in version 1.7.0. In addition, the new version uses a masked input inside of Sublime to accept passwords and passphrases.

[quote=“fmeetze”]

I’m having the same issue. This is pretty common in any ftp access where there isn’t a keep-alive setting on the server or ftp client. It would be nice if Sublime SFTP would just auto-reconnect when a connection timeout occurred.[/quote]

Version 1.7.0 includes functionality to capture uncaught exceptions, log them to a file, and prompt the user to send them to my support address. Hopefully this will make it easier for me to track down bugs I am unable to reproduce.

0 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the update.

One bug is I can’t paste a password into the new password dialogue on windows. I have to type it in manually.

0 Likes

[quote=“firefusion”]Awesome. Thanks for the update.

One bug is I can’t paste a password into the new password dialogue on windows. I have to type it in manually.[/quote]

I just released v1.7.1 to fix this.

0 Likes

That worked, thanks!

Amazing update this is.

0 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“wbond”]

I’m having the same issue. This is pretty common in any ftp access where there isn’t a keep-alive setting on the server or ftp client. It would be nice if Sublime SFTP would just auto-reconnect when a connection timeout occurred.

Sublime SFTP does automatically reconnect when a disconnection occurs – it just appears you’ve run into some situation that no-one else has run into and sent me info about. Please visit support@wbond.net.

Unfortunately, detecting disconnections has been more complicated than I would have guessed. :smile: So far I’ve tracked down at least 10 different ways python will fail with an FTP disconnection using ftplib and a whole host of separate issues with the OpenSSH sftp program and psftp. The changelog includes a rather lengthy list of the number of releases I’ve made that include fixes for various disconnection error modes.

With any luck I will have version 1.7.0 out later tonight or tomorrow which will include some features to help in capturing info about previously unreported errors.[/quote]

The new update did the trick. SFTP is now reestablishing my connection. Thanks!

0 Likes

I’m having a small issue: when i try to create a ftp connection, i get a freezed editor. I have to close it, and when i’m open it again, sftp.json is there, everything work smooth after that.

i noticed that on windows and osx, but with the same config files.

Probably is a conflict with another package, dunno, i didn’t tried too much things (to be honest, i dont create that many ftp connection, so is not a biggie), but i feel like is good to let you know.

0 Likes

I have a problem with your plugin related to a memory leak. I’ve opened a sftp connection in one window and synchronized a server folder locally (700 Mb). At some point I’ve closed the download and opened a ftp connection. After a few minutes sublime was using aprox 2.4 Gb of memory.

0 Likes