Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

New logo discussion?

Re: New logo discussion?

Postby shadowr on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:29 pm

C0D312 wrote:Did you just take that pen directly from textedit's icon?

yep
shadowr

Postby Wizek on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Hey!

Here are my 2 cents building on other's work from this thread:
This one is with emboss (same color and style as the outer white edge).
And this is more like a glowing overlay, like some seen here before.

The idea with these (if not clear at first sight) is that S for Sublime, and angle brackets (inequality signs) are merged into one symbol.

Other idea I liked which either I will explore further, or others can take this direction further if they like:
Code in the background with a simplified interface (tabs, code, minimap, etc) exposed within the white borders.

Feel free to work towards this direction if you like it, I might do so too.
Wizek

Postby phillip.koebbe on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:19 pm

With this thread being so long, I have to wonder if this comment/question will ever make it before the eyes of those it needs to, but it's worth a try ...

So many have submitted possible replacements for the icon that it will likely be a very difficult decision if/when the decision makers deal with it. Might it be possible to load an icon dynamically out of Packages/User? If that were possible, then each user could use the icon s/he prefers and it would survive upgrades. As it is now, I have a personal favorite that I replace after each upgrade, and I just moved it to Packages/User so I'll remember where it is. That triggered the idea.

Just a thought...

Peace.
-- Phillip

Code: Select all
while self.living? do
    mistake = Mistake.new
    self.learn_from!(mistake) unless mistake.fatal?
end
phillip.koebbe

Postby sublimated on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:08 pm

I think it's a great idea to make the icon configurable. That way, everybody can use what s/he likes.

(As far as the official logo goes, I like wizek's idea of >< arranged in S shape. Representational without being literal. I may say, iconic :)

Incidentally, on Windows, it's easy enough to change the icon of a shortcut, but to change the icon of the running task, you need to make an ICO file and replace the resource in the exe. So it's a bit of a bother.
sublimated

Postby msthmnd on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:48 am

hi andyjeffries,
Great script!, but its weird I have to logout and login again to see the updated icon, any ideas?
msthmnd

Postby smoofles on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:41 am

msthmnd wrote:hi andyjeffries,
Great script!, but its weird I have to logout and login again to see the updated icon, any ideas?

Restarting the app should be enough. On OS X I usually just update the icon by hand;

1. Right-click Sublime Text 2.app
2. Show Package Contents
3. open "Contents", then "Resources"
4. paste/drag your replacement icon (has to be named "Sublime Text 2.icns" and of the "Apple icon image" format)
5. if currently open, close and reopen Sublime Text 2

The only think I am not 100% certain of is whether you need Apple’s developers tools (Xcode) installed for the Show Package Contents to work. But if you do have these, they also come with /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Icon Composer.app which lets you assemble your own icon, which you can then save as "Sublime Text 2.icns" for use with ST2.

I have my 3D-S-thingie icon saved and can just drag it into the Contents/Resources directory should an update "break" my custom icon. :)
smoofles

Postby msthmnd on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

@smoofles
- thanks for the reply, here's the thing, if I update the icon by hand, and restart the app, I don't need to logout, but if I used the script, I know the icon is updated if I checked it under Resources, but I have to logout to see the change.
msthmnd

Postby C0D312 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:28 am

If anyone's interested, my alternative icon can be found here: http://boundincode.com/#portfolio
C0D312

Postby adzenith on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:42 pm

smoofles wrote:On OS X I usually just update the icon by hand;

1. Right-click Sublime Text 2.app
2. Show Package Contents
3. open "Contents", then "Resources"
4. paste/drag your replacement icon (has to be named "Sublime Text 2.icns" and of the "Apple icon image" format)
5. if currently open, close and reopen Sublime Text 2

You can also just Get Info on the app, then drag the new icon into the icon spot in the upper-left of the info window.
adzenith

Postby sttim on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:23 pm

How about something simple like:

sttim

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion