Sublime Forum

Best way to cycle through auto-complete suggestions

Hello all,

I’m running the latest developer build. It seems right now when I begin typing, the auto-complete suggester pops up. If I want to select for example, the 3rd suggestion in the list, I have to use the down arrow to cycle down the list. Is this the best way? I notice that if I hit tab again it will select the first suggestion instead of moving down the list of suggestions. Is this the right behavior or do I have something misconfigured in settings?

Thanks!

0 Likes

I guess it’s just how it works.

tab normally works for snippets, in this case, first auto suggestion.

those smart guys who don’t want to use arrow keys could think about a good way to move the selection without bothering the snippets setting.

I personally feel using arrow keys is all right since I’m not a heavy vim user. :smile:

Also, type few more letters won’t be too hard and it could lead you to the selection you want.

0 Likes

Thanks! What I ended up doing was to disable the auto-complete popup, and instead just rely on tab and shift-tab to move up/down the list of matches. I’ve found that usually hitting tab once or twice gets me to where I need and doesn’t distract me with a visual pop-up of choices like the current default behavior in the dev builds.

0 Likes

This is when I miss my Stratus v102 terminal, which had separate keys for “cycle/cycle back” (pick the next/previous autocomplete) and “insert form” (show me the drop-down").

I’m sure Sublime could come up with some combination of alt-meta-control-arrow stuff to express those separate intents, but of course it would conflict with everything everywhere else…

0 Likes

Pressing control+space will go to the next line in the completion popup if the popup is currently showing (otherwise it shows it)

0 Likes

I’m using Sublime Text 2.0.2 at Linux, in Vintage mode.

My Keybindings - Default says:

{ "keys": "alt+/"], "command": "auto_complete" },

Which loops through the context autocomplete menu and is very handy (no need to use arrow keys), but i can’t find any keystroke to loop the context menu in reverse direction.

Any ideas?

0 Likes