Sublime Forum

Autocomplete is usually wrong

This is more of an issue (in my opinion) with the assumptions made when designing the autocomplete.

There’s a much higher chance that I want to do something with the variable directly above the current line, than define a method inside a method. I get that the autocomplete will look for words in the same document, snippets, and probably a few other items that are language-specific but it’s very intrusive when it chooses the wrong thing (which is almost all the time).

http://www.bandofgeeks.net/blogimages/VisualStudio2010IntellisenseWishList_756D/image.png
Please take inspiration from Intellisense. Even when Intellisense is wrong, it doesn’t get in the way.

In order for an autocomplete to be useful it needs to be right most of the time and for when it’s wrong it needs to be unintrusive.

0 Likes

While I agree that recently-used variables should probably take precedence over random words scattered throughout the file, could I ask what exactly you find intrusive about the autocomplete? And what exactly prevents Intellisense’s autocomplete from being intrusive?

0 Likes

I think my main issue with it is that when I hit enter to go to a new line it instead will do the autocomplete.

It also doesn’t know the difference between methods and arguments (particularly in Ruby).

0 Likes

BTW, you can download an SublimeCodeIntel, which brings intellisense to Sublime.

0 Likes

If you could post an example of where this is causing trouble, I’d be grateful. In general, if you’re typing a word at the end of line, and it the word already exists in the file, it should be the top match when you press enter, and thus not insert the wrong thing. I’m currently trying to catalogue examples where it’s causing frustration when pressing enter.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

If you could post an example of where this is causing trouble, I’d be grateful. In general, if you’re typing a word at the end of line, and it the word already exists in the file, it should be the top match when you press enter, and thus not insert the wrong thing. I’m currently trying to catalogue examples where it’s causing frustration when pressing enter.[/quote]

For instance if you have a word that differs in case only in the completion list it may insert the wrong one when hitting return at the end of a line.

0 Likes

You fixed the main issue in Build 2158. Thank you, for your excellent support. Seriously – you’re awesome.

It isn’t a powerful autocomplete, but it’s now unintrusive. I’d rather it be unintrusive than powerful and intrusive.

0 Likes