Sublime Forum

KUbuntu - Use the KDE "Open File" Dialog

Hi,

(Linux / Kubuntu feature request:)
I love Sublime 2 Text, but besides native FTP support, there is just one thing bothering me. The KDE file browser Dolphin allows one to connect to servers (and other network stuff) and then browse through the files on that server.
Currently Sublime uses the GTK “Open File” dialog that does not offer those network connections, but just the plain file system.

If Sublime would use the dialog that is natively offered by KDE one could choose a remote server there and save files straight to the server!

1 Like

Hello
Im also interested in this functionality, any ideas if this can be added or maybe someone can share info how to set this?

0 Likes

KDE has KIO, which is an awesome framework not unlike GVFS and allows for that kind of stuff.

AFAIK currently sublime text lacks many of the abilities provided by those frameworks, e.g. editing over (S)FTP, HTTP (readonly), and SSH.

a first step to fully utilize the KDE file browser (which i’d also like to have without that feature, just for consistency’s sake), whould thus be to implement something like KIO or GVFS.

0 Likes

Krusader (best KDE file browser/commander/multitool :smile: )suports KIO slaves, It has built in editor which is the best I found in linux world (because of my work aspects > web developer it is best), this editor let you edit files “onfly” which is better even than totalcommander + vim combo for me. (accually it stores temp files and send then in background while save).
Krusader let you also use external editors like sublime editor BUT it doesnt support remote editing (KIO slave).
Maybe someone can write down some plugin for sublime for this functionality, IMO krusader + sublime editor would be best COMBO in linux/KDE world, especially for someone who works simillar like me.
Pleanty of ppl are asking about best twinpanel manager and editor working with it.

0 Likes