Sublime Forum

Wierd Drawing Speed

My laptop has 2 operating system… Windows Vista 64bit and Linux Mint (ubuntu).

I have a 22 inch monitor connected to my lap… I do not use the lap display… just the 22 inch. I have a nvidia chip in my laptop.

in windows the editor is very sluggish… to me almost unusable… to make sure this wasn’t an issue with my display… I disconnected my display and just used the lap top display and I get the same result.

What is really funny… When I load up my linux OS and run Sublime with wine… it is perfect!!! It works great on either screen just fine.

I have tried the --opengl option in windows and it does seem a little bit snappier… but still scrolling is jerky. but really not much difference.

Any idea on how I can fix this… Obviously the nvidia chip with the 22 inch display can handle it… it does in linux… hahaha.

I have never had this issue in any other editor… and I try them all.

0 Likes

You’ve probably run into problems because of the hardware acceleration. What NVIDIA chip are you using? Does it support Direct X 9?

What are the other specs are your computer? Because Windows is a lot more heavyweight than Linux.

0 Likes

i think that by default on windows sublime uses directx to render the graphics, and on wine open-gl is used. this might be the difference, so i suggest you to try and load sublime with open-gl on windows. search the forum and find the exact command line option in order to do so.

i hope it can also help to find the source of the problem.

vim.

0 Likes

Well, I upgraded my driver… forced my GPU to full speed while plugged in. Check that my card has directx acceleration… And well it is a little be better. hahaha.

It does work better now in Open Gl mode. I have other graphic software that is very fast… and nothing on my machine… not even vista gui is slow. My XP machine with no special graphics hardware and two years older runs sublime just fine. so I have no idea. I give up.

I love the editor though, and its fast enough now I will continue to play with it. Keep up the good work. I love the fact that I can run it in wine. Seem to run with very few problems on Linux which is my preferred system anyways.

0 Likes

Well, I haven’t purchased a license yet, just checking it out… and learning how to use the feature etc. But having a Linux version would really convince me. On linux I have been using Komodo IDE which is pretty heavy for just editing code quickly. That and it is slow in Linux.

I do play with vim a little bit but… I just can’t get into it. I am currently using sublime and it beats most of the alternatives on linux for me. But it isn’t a linux app so I not sure yet if I going to stick with it. I don’t use windows enough to actually purchase a license just for windows. Well, I do use windows but not for coding. My windows machine is for playing on Facebook, etc. hahaha.

So I am not sure yet. But I would be very interested in a linux version!

0 Likes