Sublime Forum

Find highlighted text

When I hit select a word and hit Cmd-F, the word appearing in the search box is my old search and not the word I just selected. I am not sure, but I believe the behavior is different on the Windows version. Is there a parameter that I could set to get that behavior?

2 Likes

Press command + ,

add the following line: "find_selected_text": true

6 Likes

Great, exactly what I needed, thanks a lot. By curiosity, is that the default behavior on Windows too? And if not, why are there different default settings?

0 Likes

The “Find selected text” option defaults to false on OSX to conform to standard Apple conventions. That way people who use other text editors such as textmate can switch over to Sublime painlessly.

0 Likes

OSX Find in Files behaves differently to Windows Find in Files

That makes sense. If I may ask, how is a Mac user supposed to handle that then? Cmd-C, Cmd-F, Cmd-V?

0 Likes

The flow seems to be Cmd-E and Cmd-F.

0 Likes

To be honest, I don’t know. That was one of the first settings I changed and never looked back.

0 Likes

Thank you Twen. Exactly what am looking for.

0 Likes

You need to explicit copy

"find_selected_text": true

and paste into your sublime user settings.

See comment in original sublime settings:
“On OS X, this value is overridden in the platform specific settings, so you’ll need to place this line in your user settings to override it.”

0 Likes

Worked like a charm, thank you.

0 Likes

On Apple CMD+E can be used to put a text into the find clipboard, it will immediately be placed in the find text box. But you still have to press CMD+F to show the find box and set the focus to it. I never got warm with CMD+E.

0 Likes