Sublime Forum

Old logo discussion?

I’ve recently updated to beta build 2160 ( on Linux ) and it has come with a new logo. I really dislike it.

I didn’t ever comment on the “New logo discussion?” thread since I don’t think sublimetext2 needs a new logo. I looked at all the logos and I felt 1 looked ok but nothing compared to the previous ( black square ) logo.

The black square (with the double borders) says it all: “simplicity” and elegance.

I think the largest two logo complaints were:

1. It looks bland and doesn’t explain what it is

2. It looks too much like the terminal link

3. Toyota, Volkswagen, apple, android, etc all have cool logos. If you didn’t know what they were beforehand the logos wouldn’t make sense… But they are great, easy to remember and effective for branding purposes.

4. As for it looking like the terminal - it’s the closest app I can think of to the terminal and I use it alongside the terminal very often :smile:
    I don’t have a problem with locating the terminal or SublimeText2 - and I have them right next to eachother in the launcher.

The old Sublime logo does really well and is awesome. It is simple and actually looks like the app itself. I have a couple friends that use SublimeText2 and they agree with me, so I’m sure there are plenty more out there.

Please don’t change the logo, it’s brilliant. Does anyone agree with me?
Note: This is the logo that I currently have ( without modding or editing sublime in any way )

0 Likes

I don’t really like either of the logos. The old one might have been on its way to simple and elegant, but in its current state it was unrefined/amateur. The new one isn’t an improvement and doesn’t feel like the app.

I think that Sublime could benefit from a significant amount of visual help overall (there are lots of competing visual styles throughout the app), so when someone does that, I think that would be a good time to think about the overall feel that should be achieved and how the logo and rest of the visual style can achieve that.

0 Likes

Agreed, the ‘old’ logo could be refined - but I don’t feel the ‘new’ logo is an improvement at all ( no offense intended to the logo desinger )

0 Likes

There is no new logo, the one in your screenshot is a popular user submitted one.

Where did you download Sublime Text from?

0 Likes

On that same note, the latest beta is 2165…

0 Likes

Oh, that’s weird. That’s my temporary logo (and no offense taken, I think Jon should hire an icon designer when he feels ST2 is ready for the final polish imo) – and I know where it’s being downloaded from:

webupd8.org/2011/03/sublime- … u-ppa.html

That doesn’t seem right to not use the original icon in something you’re distributing – or distributing at all? I’ll write them and ask that my icon isn’t used – they contacted me, but I didn’t realize that’s where it was going.

0 Likes

@natebeaty thanks! If they replace your logo with another random one I think I’ll just download ST2 from the website and update it myself.

0 Likes

In Ubuntu you can replace the icon quite easily, just run something like this:

sudo cp /path/to/your/custom/icon.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/sublime-text-2.png && cd /usr/share/icons && sudo gtk-update-icon-cache hicolor

[size=85]p.s. I found a Faenza icon someone made, in case anyone’s using that popular icon pack: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Sublime+Text+2+Faenza+Icon?content=147424 you need to resize it to 128x128px for it to look correct though[/size]

0 Likes