Sublime Forum

Getting started

hi all.

I’m a former rabid fan of Xywrite and I was thrilled to find Sublime Text 2 just the other day. The thing I loved about Xywrite, and the thing I’m going to love about Sublime Text, is its tweakability. Seems super flexible. What I’m looking for–and pardon me if I missed it in perusing this forum and the app’s help files–is a really simple step-by-step introduction to accessing and using all the customization capabilities of ST2. I realize it has something to do with packages, but I’m not finding a text about working with packages that is introductory enough for a beginner like me. Can you point me to any starter resources? One note: I’m a writer, not a coder, though I know my way around basic HTML and I used to be pretty good with Xywriter’s coding language, XPL. Point being, I CAN learn, just need a couple of really clear starter pointers.

Thanks for any help.

Dutch

0 Likes

Maybe you will need to do some looking up of terms, but I hope this can help (although you might have tried that already):

sublimetext.info/docs/en/

0 Likes

Thanks, guillermooo. I had poked around in there a bit, but much of it seemed a little opaque to me. The first, “Basics Concepts” section talks about API calls, Python, Textmate–stuff I don’t know anything about. I guess I’ll just need to be more persistent and start experimenting. I will eventually figure it out, but I was hoping there might be a web resource that was a little more noob-oriented, to save me some time. Thanks again.

0 Likes

ST2 is still beta, so much of the documentation is yet to be completed. The site guillermooo linked to is actually a great resource, and quite readable. Much of ST2’s tweaking happens through text files (as opposed to GUI menus), so it’ll be worth your while to learn JSON. And if you have any specific questions, this forum is pretty active and can usually resolve the issue quickly.

0 Likes

Thanks, Nick. Tweaking settings through text files is very reminiscent of my old beloved Xywrite. So I know I’m capable of getting my head around it. I will look into JSON–sounds like that’s the key. I appreciate it.

0 Likes

guillermooo, I PM’d you, but from what I can tell my messages are sitting in the Outbox—not showing up in Sent. I can’t even do that right, apparently. Anyway, please let me know if/when you receive my message.

0 Likes