Sublime Forum

Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

I just purchased your plugin. I must say that it made my working routine so much easier. I have to say though that $16 is pretty overpriced BUT considering that I am a happy user of your other plugin it a worthwhile support of a great developer… :smile:

Here is a problem I have: My session usually closes after some time, which is obvious. But when I try to send a file after that, SFTP tries to connected for a pretty long time with an endless number of dots and finally fails with a “Invalid login credentials” (no password prompt). When I then try to send a second time, I get the password prompt very quickly and the connection is reestablished…

Thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“gregor.hoch”]I just purchased your plugin. I must say that it made my working routine so much easier. I have to say though that $16 is pretty overpriced BUT considering that I am a happy user of your other plugin it a worthwhile support of a great developer… :smile:

Here is a problem I have: My session usually closes after some time, which is obvious. But when I try to send a file after that, SFTP tries to connected for a pretty long time with an endless number of dots and finally fails with a “Invalid login credentials” (no password prompt). When I then try to send a second time, I get the password prompt very quickly and the connection is reestablished…

Thanks![/quote]

I appreciate your purchase! I realize that some people may feel like $16 is steep, but it is a reflection of the amount of time it saves developers, the amount of development and support time and effort it has taken me to get the plugin to the point where it is today.

In terms of the issue with reconnecting after a disconnection, can you turn on debug logging (support@wbond.net? Please be sure to include the platform you are running on and the version of Sublime you are using. If I can reproduce this (so that I can confirm that I can fix it) I will try to include a fix in the next release.

0 Likes

Hi wbond

Thank you for adding the “SFTP” under a submenu on sidebar. Much appreciated. :smiley:

I’m starting to use the package frequently and I want to mention:

Bug: For some reason, when selecting “SFTP -> map to remote” on sidebar. The application freeze and I had to kill sublime text. however when I restart the file “sftp-config.json” is created correctly.
Windows XP, sublime 2175, SFTP 1.8.3

Clarification needed please:
I can’t figure out how to upload only modified files. Looks like “synch” browses and checks the entire server making the upload super slow.

Ideal: will be to “cache an id” of every uploaded file and when the user selects “Upload file/folder” only the modified files of the selection will be uploaded. Probably this will need a menuitem “clear cache of uploaded files”, if you can make the “cache” persistent between sessions that will be awesome.

Regards,

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]Bug: For some reason, when selecting “SFTP -> map to remote” on sidebar. The application freeze and I had to kill sublime text. however when I restart the file “sftp-config.json” is created correctly.
Windows XP, sublime 2175, SFTP 1.8.3[/quote]

I just got a confirmation of this yesterday and I am working on a fix. Thanks for the note!

[quote=“tito”]I can’t figure out how to upload only modified files. Looks like “synch” browses and checks the entire server making the upload super slow.

Ideal: will be to “cache an id” of every uploaded file and when the user selects “Upload file/folder” only the modified files of the selection will be uploaded. Probably this will need a menuitem “clear cache of uploaded files”, if you can make the “cache” persistent between sessions that will be awesome.[/quote]

Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, Sublime SFTP provides this exact functionality, provided that your code is inside of a Mercurial, Git or SVN working copy. It uses the version control system to track changes, and the Upload Changed Files command (wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/ … y_Bindings) uploads those files.

0 Likes

Thanks for clarification!

I’m afraid this will not work for me. I work with people that don’t use VCS, and I also don’t use it for some projects.
There is also complex setups on which I have repos inside repos, such simil and *real *submodules…
There is also files I don’t want to put on repos but maybe I upload these to servers… there is also the opposite… why not…

Is to much to request a preference to add what I described before? such “remember_uploaded_files”

May I don’t understand how it works.

Some little things I saw:

I have on Sublime a project folder with path “\cat-pc\htdocs”

When I request via sidebar “STP -> browse remote” on subfolder “docs” this error pop-ups:

2012-02-08 13:30:30 Traceback (most recent call last): File "./sftp/threads.py", line 16, in run_with_except_hook File "./sftp/threads.py", line 101, in handler File "./sftp/commands.py", line 239, in run File "./sftp/commands.py", line 373, in do_operation File "./sftp/ftp_transport.py", line 347, in lcd NotFoundError: Folder not found

When trying to use the function “Upload VCS changed File” this error popups:

The git.exe binary could not be found on your system. Please edit "C:\Documents and Settings\tito\Datos de programa\Sublime Text 2\Packages\User\SFTP.sublime-settings" and set "git_binary_path" or install git.

I’m sure git is on path.

Regards,

0 Likes

Last time i used this feature (upload changed files), I wasn’t able to upload files that i staged & commited.
If nothing had changed, there is a way to something like „upload files from revision” ?

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]Thanks for clarification!

I’m afraid this will not work for me. I work with people that don’t use VCS, and I also don’t use it for some projects.
There is also complex setups on which I have repos inside repos, such simil and *real *submodules…
There is also files I don’t want to put on repos but maybe I upload these to servers… there is also the opposite… why not…

Is to much to request a preference to add what I described before? such “remember_uploaded_files”

May I don’t understand how it works.

Some little things I saw:

I have on Sublime a project folder with path “\cat-pc\htdocs”

When I request via sidebar “STP -> browse remote” on subfolder “docs” this error pop-ups:

2012-02-08 13:30:30 Traceback (most recent call last): File "./sftp/threads.py", line 16, in run_with_except_hook File "./sftp/threads.py", line 101, in handler File "./sftp/commands.py", line 239, in run File "./sftp/commands.py", line 373, in do_operation File "./sftp/ftp_transport.py", line 347, in lcd NotFoundError: Folder not found

When trying to use the function “Upload VCS changed File” this error popups:

The git.exe binary could not be found on your system. Please edit "C:\Documents and Settings\tito\Datos de programa\Sublime Text 2\Packages\User\SFTP.sublime-settings" and set "git_binary_path" or install git.

I’m sure git is on path.

Regards,[/quote]

The solution you are proposing sounds like the “upload_on_save” feature might do what you want. In a future release I may be able to keep a list of saved files and if there is no VCS then upload the files in the saved list and reset the list after uploading. Would this work for you?

If you could shoot me an email with those two bugs, I can file it with the other bug emails so I ensure they get fixed in the next release.

0 Likes

[quote=“iamntz”]

Last time i used this feature (upload changed files), I wasn’t able to upload files that i staged & commited.
If nothing had changed, there is a way to something like „upload files from revision” ?[/quote]

I understand what you are looking for, but really this starts getting real complex real fast to support 3 different VCSes and their different models for revisions and an interface to browse and retrieve the versions of files for those revisions. To do this there would need to be pretty tight integration with a more full-featured VCS plugin for the VCS you are looking for.

That said, all of the SFTP commands are documented in the key bindings file, so it should be possible to create your own plugin to do all of the introspection of the VCS and export the appropriate files, then use the SFTP plugin to upload them.

0 Likes

Mail sent :smile:

Yes please, it would be very good to keep track of already uploaded files. And when selecting “upload folder/file” only modified files gets uploaded.(besides whatever there is git or not on project )
It would be very good too, if you can save the list of already uploaded files on a session file ( internal if possible, not on project directories. )
Handy probably is to add a “clean uploaded file cache” menuitem, to forget these entries.

This way upload command will work very fast in a very practical manner.
Regards,

0 Likes

Hell I’ve been using this plugin for a few weeks and it’s recently started crashing my installation of ST2 on upload. Not always and from what I can tell there really is not pattern but it happens consistently, say, 20% of the time now. Seems to be worse the longer I go without making an upload. :frowning:

0 Likes

Version 1.9.0 is out, and it should fix this crashing issue you’ve experienced.

0 Likes

Does this plugin have the functionality that informs me if the file has been changed since my last upload? This is the only thing I need to work out in order to move from Dreamweaver to Sublime.

0 Likes

You will want to use the confirm_overwrite_newer setting in your sftp-config.json file. wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/ … rite_newer

0 Likes

I have done this but it doesn’t cover all situations. I work on a project with 2 other people. All machines have the same synchronized clock times in windows and it works only for the first or second minute. If I save after 5-10 minutes and upload it overwrites my colleague’s file without telling me that it has been changed since my last upload.

In Dreamweaver this works perfectly!

I have “confirm_overwrite_newer”: true
and also tried “preserve_modification_times” with all possible values but it doesn’t seem to be working like DW!

0 Likes

[quote=“georgemastro”]

I have done this but it doesn’t cover all situations. I work on a project with 2 other people. All machines have the same synchronized clock times in windows and it works only for the first or second minute. If I save after 5-10 minutes and upload it overwrites my colleague’s file without telling me that it has been changed since my last upload.

In Dreamweaver this works perfectly!

I have “confirm_overwrite_newer”: true
and also tried “preserve_modification_times” with all possible values but it doesn’t seem to be working like DW![/quote]

If you turn on debug logging (wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/support) and set it to level 2, the console will contain info about what is going on.

It is only possible to detect the file modification time down to the minute - seconds are reported in the file listing. It may be possible that if you are writing the file in the same minute that the plugin may not be considering the server “newer” in that situation. You should be able to confirm this with the debug log, but I will also do some tests on my end.

0 Likes

I believe in giving credit where credit is due; this is an amazing tool for Sublime Text 2. I probably wouldn’t - couldn’t, even - use Sublime without it. Great job! I’ll definately throw a few dollars your way, if that helps you keeping up the good work!

0 Likes

I’m confused. Does this allow me to browse through a remote directory on the sidebar like a local directory? Browse Server just seems to list the folders and let me navigate but only in a popup each time

0 Likes

Unfortunately Sublime does not currently have an API to manipulate the sidebar, so server browsing happens through the quick panel. If you want to try and treat a remote project as a local project you should try out expandrive.com/ or if you are on a Mac, Transit also has a mount option.

Alternatively you can download the whole project and use the Sync Remote -> Local functionality to look for changes. This can take some time depending on the side of the remote folder structure and how fast your connection is.

0 Likes

Hmm, that’s a shame. The way I currently work is on a remote server where the directory is very large to download and changes regularly, so it’s been easier to browse and edit files directly. I guess I can try to get used to the quick bar or try one of those mounting options. Do you know if a sidebar API is coming in a future release?

edit: Expandrive works great!

0 Likes

It keeps crashing when uploading even more than 10 files on linux/Ubuntu.

0 Likes