Sublime Forum

Can we please have an option for a block cursor?

I am just starting to use SublimeText myself and very quickly became annoyed with the lack of this feature. I have thrown together a quick plugin the mimics it as best I can by using region highlights. You can grab it here:

github.com/netpro2k/SublimeBlockCursor

0 Likes

Excellent, thank you! I don’t use vintage mode, so I’ve modified it a bit to work everywhere, which was very easy to do.

Thanks a million. This makes the cursor so much easier to see!

I wish it blinked, but that’s kind of ridiculous functionality to ask for in a plug-in. Hopefully a block cursor style will be added to the official release in the future.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor.

Using the normal cursor in vintage mode can get very confusing.
Specially since in cmd mode it’s a underscore and when next to a bracket you get double underscores and you have no clue which is the cursor.

0 Likes

Is there some place to vote for this feature? SublimeBlockCursor is a great plugin but looks a tiny bit off from what I’m used from MacVim.

0 Likes

i wish you had never created that plugin because it merely existing at all is a reason for the developer to consign this awesome request to the bit bucket.

please add a native block cursor. micro thin vertical line hiding between two chars is VERY difficult to see sometimes.

ty

0 Likes

In general I’d love to have more python-hooks in sublime text. Just give us a method we can hook into to change how the cursor is drawn. Outline-block-cursor-with-red-top-border here i come.

0 Likes

Please a big block cursor.

0 Likes

[quote=“kellishaver”]Excellent, thank you! I don’t use vintage mode, so I’ve modified it a bit to work everywhere, which was very easy to do.

I wish it blinked, but that’s kind of ridiculous functionality to ask for in a plug-in. Hopefully a block cursor style will be added to the official release in the future.[/quote]

I am not a python programmer, I wonder if I could get a copy of your changes for non vintage mode?

0 Likes

If you add both of the following to “Settings - User”, you can get it be be blinky and wide at the same time:

[code]“caret_style”: “phase”

“wide_caret”: true[/code]

Check the “Settings - Default” and search for “caret_style” for more options on the rate and style of blinking. The only other thing I’ve thought to do is alter the caret color in your preferred color scheme. I have mine set to some horrendously bright color so that it always galares out of the monitor.

0 Likes

I’ve set the thing as wide as I can, but like a few others above, I could really go for a block cursor. I’m not a programmer; I use Sublime Text (and Komodo Edit, which is uglier but very easy to configure for a non-programmer) to write and prep copy for online publication, and after a long day, that skinny little supermodel cursor is just too damned hard to find.

Thanks for building an interesting (and pretty) editor.

TC

0 Likes

Just to be clear: I’d also prefer a block cursor option.

0 Likes

I would like to have block cursor also. So +1

0 Likes

Yes please, this would be really useful…

0 Likes

This would be great. Please add a block cursor option!

0 Likes

[quote=“kellishaver”]Excellent, thank you! I don’t use vintage mode, so I’ve modified it a bit to work everywhere, which was very easy to do.

I wish it blinked, but that’s kind of ridiculous functionality to ask for in a plug-in. Hopefully a block cursor style will be added to the official release in the future.[/quote]

I don’t know much about python. Can you share the modified code for using it everywhere to me? thx

0 Likes

[quote=“singw”]

I don’t know much about python. Can you share the modified code for using it everywhere to me? thx[/quote]

Remove lines 22,23,24

if view.settings().get('is_widget') or not view.settings().get('command_mode'):
            view.erase_regions('SublimeBlockCursorListener')
            return

So that It only does

self.show_block_cursor(view)

In the file:
github.com/netpro2k/SublimeBloc … kCursor.py

0 Likes

[quote=“atomi”]

I don’t know much about python. Can you share the modified code for using it everywhere to me? thx

Remove lines 22,23,24

if view.settings().get('is_widget') or not view.settings().get('command_mode'):
            view.erase_regions('SublimeBlockCursorListener')
            return

So that It only does

self.show_block_cursor(view)

In the file:
github.com/netpro2k/SublimeBloc … kCursor.py[/quote]

thx. but it’s so not the same as what i mean for block cursor…sad… :cry:

0 Likes

You know how the saying goes: Nothing is better than something.

Wait, that doesn’t sound right…

0 Likes

I had to create a user account on the forum to be able to +1 this request. A block cursor would be really important especially in Vi command mode. Of course, the themes would then need to be able to set the cursor background and text colors.

0 Likes

+1 for this feature. Or the aforementioned Python hooks would be sufficient too.

0 Likes