Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2178

[quote=“bradgessler”]Hmm… I figured out what feels “off” about the new icon:

The “S” reminds me a little bit of Comic Sans.

Sublime Edit is way to awesome to draw this comparison.[/quote]

facepalm.gif

0 Likes

Hi,
I’m having troubles to properly use a custom icon on ubuntu 11.10 (the new icon looked too blurry).

I’m using this icon made by Dan Perrera: http://dribbble.com/shots/311515-A-Sublime-Text-2-Icon-that-is-less-horrible
FYI I’m also using the ‘Hope’ GTK+ theme.

sudo cp /path/to/your/custom/icon.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/sublime-text-2.png && cd /usr/share/icons && sudo gtk-update-icon-cache hicolor

The command above by @sheldno doesn’t worked for me.

The only thing that worked for me is by replacing this files :

~/.config/sublime-text-2/Packages/Default/Icon.png ~/.config/sublime-text-2/Packages/Default/Icon-dock.png
I have also replaced all icons that appeared with the latest build #2178 in

sublime/Icons/16x16/sublime_text.png
sublime/Icons/48x48/sublime_text.png
sublime/Icons/128x128/sublime_text.png
sublime/Icons/256x256/sublime_text.png

with the appropriate icons resolutions.

As you can see in the screenshot, the icons looks well in the dock, but appeared blurry when i switch programs using alt+tab.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_186822Espacedetravail3003.jpg

Any ideas ?

0 Likes

I’m still experiencing several issues with the new indentation system.

• “Close Tag” does not de-indent the inserted tag.

• The new indent_to_bracket setting works great for simple
    cases, but it’s incomplete. Example (using the “Erlang” syntax, 4 space indent, | is cursor):

I insert a new function call:

function_foobar() ->
    call_a(|

When adding a simple value as the argument, indent_to_bracket works fine:

function_foobar() ->
    call_a("a string",
           |

However, when i add an expression that starts with a keyword, it doesn’t:

function_foobar() ->
    call_a(fun (X) ->
        |

It seems like indent_to_bracket will only work while the cursor is in the
same scope as the bracket, or when the expression being indented is more complex than
just a simple expression. Is this by design? My wish would be to make it
work like this instead (indentation being calculated from the start of the bracket)

function_foobar() ->
    call_a(fun (X) ->
               |

Is there any chance we’ll get indentation via a plugin callback in the future?
That would definitely improve the situation for Erlang.
I’d love to be able to do indentation correcly in my own Erlang plugin since the
current way (a TextMate heritage) doesn’t really work for syntax definitions with
more complex requirements than, say, Ruby or JavaScript.

0 Likes

@aschuler when you launch Sublime Text from the command line, Gnome Shell doesn’t know what icon
it should use for the window so it uses whatever the application provides as an X11 property (_NET_WM_ICON).
I presume ST2 sets the proptery implicitly through GTK2, so it’s going to be tough to build a workaround.

Gnome Shell does have a JavaScript API though, you could try that.

0 Likes

[quote=“Fannon”]I’m not sure if i like the new Icon, here is why:

First: Why is the Icon a Button? I think the Icon should somehow describe the program, actually it does just add some confusion.[/quote]

It’s a keyboard key. Specifically an aluminium MacBook one from the looks of it. On the contrary, I’d say that is very descriptive of the program!

I like it. Like any design change of something familiar, it’s a bit jarring at first, but will soon settle in.

0 Likes

I would say this is a very minor issue, but I find that the icon would be slightly more visually appealing in Windows 7 if it were lowered a bit. Right now it looks kind of off center - vertically, that is. But I don’t know how one would go about fixing this.

0 Likes

Regarding the icon, it would look WAY better if it didn’t have that glow around the “S”. That just makes it look blurry. Without that it would be much sharper and easier to read.

0 Likes

My hero!

Thanks for the Vintage improvements!

0 Likes

My last issue listed when I did switch from VIM:

-When you are at the last char of the line and hit “v” and go to the start of the line (selecting the entire line). Vintage will let the last char unselected.

Im using this to move start/eol

{ "keys": "alt+l"], "command": "set_motion", "args": {
		"motion": "vi_move_to_hard_eol",
		"motion_args": {"repeat": 1, "extend": true},
		"inclusive": true,
		"clip_to_line": true },
		"context": {"key": "setting.command_mode"}]
	},

{ "keys": "alt+h"], "command": "set_motion", "args": {
		"motion": "vi_move_to_first_non_white_space_character",
		"motion_args": {"extend": true },
		"clip_to_line": true },
		"context": {"key": "setting.command_mode"}]
	},

But definitely I can live with that. :smiley:

0 Likes

Yay :smile:

hmmm… Not sure why it’s a button, but I can live with that. The 2 things that bug me are (1) the orange (I’d much rather see a faint blue) and (2) the font of the S. The ‘S’ looks whimsical, not something I want in a text editor. Still excited by the change. Usually I’m a big fan of Iconfactory, though.

Damn… I’m picky :smile:

EDIT: the orange is growing on me…

0 Likes

I’ve been lurking here a long time, using the dev builds, etc. Just felt the need to post to say how awesome the new icon is. Good move getting Iconfactory to make it. :smile:

0 Likes

I like the current icon but I was playing around & came up with this:

0 Likes

I like MrMartineau’s color hue changes much better vs the yellow, from the screenshots looks good in the Win 7 task bar but on my dock (OS X) looks sort of out of place (like it wasn’t meant for an app icon). Why I’m sticking with Nate Beaty’s lighter blue version of http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/download/file.php?id=200

With that said, another amazing update, after seeing the rename file update who cares about the icon :stuck_out_tongue:

(now how about file type icons in the project tree next to the text)

0 Likes

I just turned tabs on for the first time in a few builds… When did the tab bar get better contrast between active and unactive tabs? Whenever it was, thanks :smile:

0 Likes

Wow, it looks great! Will be nice not having to swap out the icon with every dev release.

0 Likes

The new icon feels quite lacking in contrast, and blurry at the edges — especially the top. I’m not sure whether I’d call it an improvement over the old one, which while ugly, was at least nicely defined and sharp.

Continuing to use one of the custom-made icons, so take my feedback with a grain of salt (puu.sh/h4wH for reference).

0 Likes

I gonna keep using this beautiful icon:
https://github.com/dmatarazzo/Sublime-Text-2-Icon

Very elegant and classy on my mac.

0 Likes

[quote=“malpeli”]I gonna keep using this beautiful icon:
https://github.com/dmatarazzo/Sublime-Text-2-Icon

Very elegant and classy on my mac.[/quote]

I didn’t know it was that easy to change the icon. Thanks for the link.

0 Likes

Need to update the favicon of the site!

0 Likes

I was excited to see that there was a new icon, so I downloaded the new build, and I didn’t like it very much.

Then I thought about it a bit more, and now… I really don’t like it. It clashes with every other icon in my dock because it’s tilted so far backwards.

The Apple Human Interface Guidelines for icon design have this to say:

I’m not sure whether to count Sublime Text as a user app or a utility app in this sense, but in either case, the perspective is way off.

I also think this clashes with Windows icon standards. Most Windows icons use the straight-on perspective.

0 Likes