Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2178

[quote=ā€œFannonā€]Iā€™m not sure if i like the new Icon, here is why:

First: Why is the Icon a Button? I think the Icon should somehow describe the program, actually it does just add some confusion.[/quote]

Itā€™s a keyboard key. Specifically an aluminium MacBook one from the looks of it. On the contrary, Iā€™d say that is very descriptive of the program!

I like it. Like any design change of something familiar, itā€™s a bit jarring at first, but will soon settle in.

0 Likes

I would say this is a very minor issue, but I find that the icon would be slightly more visually appealing in Windows 7 if it were lowered a bit. Right now it looks kind of off center - vertically, that is. But I donā€™t know how one would go about fixing this.

0 Likes

Regarding the icon, it would look WAY better if it didnā€™t have that glow around the ā€œSā€. That just makes it look blurry. Without that it would be much sharper and easier to read.

0 Likes

My hero!

Thanks for the Vintage improvements!

0 Likes

My last issue listed when I did switch from VIM:

-When you are at the last char of the line and hit ā€œvā€ and go to the start of the line (selecting the entire line). Vintage will let the last char unselected.

Im using this to move start/eol

{ "keys": "alt+l"], "command": "set_motion", "args": {
		"motion": "vi_move_to_hard_eol",
		"motion_args": {"repeat": 1, "extend": true},
		"inclusive": true,
		"clip_to_line": true },
		"context": {"key": "setting.command_mode"}]
	},

{ "keys": "alt+h"], "command": "set_motion", "args": {
		"motion": "vi_move_to_first_non_white_space_character",
		"motion_args": {"extend": true },
		"clip_to_line": true },
		"context": {"key": "setting.command_mode"}]
	},

But definitely I can live with that. :smiley:

0 Likes

Yay :smile:

hmmmā€¦ Not sure why itā€™s a button, but I can live with that. The 2 things that bug me are (1) the orange (Iā€™d much rather see a faint blue) and (2) the font of the S. The ā€˜Sā€™ looks whimsical, not something I want in a text editor. Still excited by the change. Usually Iā€™m a big fan of Iconfactory, though.

Damnā€¦ Iā€™m picky :smile:

EDIT: the orange is growing on meā€¦

0 Likes

Iā€™ve been lurking here a long time, using the dev builds, etc. Just felt the need to post to say how awesome the new icon is. Good move getting Iconfactory to make it. :smile:

0 Likes

I like the current icon but I was playing around & came up with this:

0 Likes

I like MrMartineauā€™s color hue changes much better vs the yellow, from the screenshots looks good in the Win 7 task bar but on my dock (OS X) looks sort of out of place (like it wasnā€™t meant for an app icon). Why Iā€™m sticking with Nate Beatyā€™s lighter blue version of http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/download/file.php?id=200

With that said, another amazing update, after seeing the rename file update who cares about the icon :stuck_out_tongue:

(now how about file type icons in the project tree next to the text)

0 Likes

I just turned tabs on for the first time in a few buildsā€¦ When did the tab bar get better contrast between active and unactive tabs? Whenever it was, thanks :smile:

0 Likes

Wow, it looks great! Will be nice not having to swap out the icon with every dev release.

0 Likes

The new icon feels quite lacking in contrast, and blurry at the edges ā€” especially the top. Iā€™m not sure whether Iā€™d call it an improvement over the old one, which while ugly, was at least nicely defined and sharp.

Continuing to use one of the custom-made icons, so take my feedback with a grain of salt (puu.sh/h4wH for reference).

0 Likes

I gonna keep using this beautiful icon:
https://github.com/dmatarazzo/Sublime-Text-2-Icon

Very elegant and classy on my mac.

0 Likes

[quote=ā€œmalpeliā€]I gonna keep using this beautiful icon:
https://github.com/dmatarazzo/Sublime-Text-2-Icon

Very elegant and classy on my mac.[/quote]

I didnā€™t know it was that easy to change the icon. Thanks for the link.

0 Likes

Need to update the favicon of the site!

0 Likes

I was excited to see that there was a new icon, so I downloaded the new build, and I didnā€™t like it very much.

Then I thought about it a bit more, and nowā€¦ I really donā€™t like it. It clashes with every other icon in my dock because itā€™s tilted so far backwards.

The Apple Human Interface Guidelines for icon design have this to say:

Iā€™m not sure whether to count Sublime Text as a user app or a utility app in this sense, but in either case, the perspective is way off.

I also think this clashes with Windows icon standards. Most Windows icons use the straight-on perspective.

0 Likes

Very nice update. The icon looks more professional too. Though the ā€˜Sā€™ probably could use some sharpening up, I generally think it is nice.

The good news is people got their new icon which doesnā€™t look like the terminal.

The bad news is, I donā€™t believe an icon exists that can make everyone happy :smile: . But hey, it is pretty easy for people to change their icon.

0 Likes

Simply cannot believe how many whiners there are regarding the iconā€¦ :open_mouth:
Seriously there are so many more awesome things he could be spending his time onā€¦Why hassle him about the icon?

0 Likes

[quote]Simply cannot believe how many whiners there are regarding the iconā€¦
Seriously there are so many more awesome things he could be spending his time onā€¦Why hassle him about the icon?[/quote]

I agree. I like the icon and I am glad he hired professionals to create it. I also think, choosing orange was a conscious decision. At least on the mac it sets sublime apart from all the popular editors.

Still, being super-picky about the icon also shows how passionate people are about ST. And thatā€™s a good thing :wink:

0 Likes

Thatā€™s nice, thanks for this awesome software !

Two things, though :

• the vintage mode seems to be enabled by default, now.
  • Iā€™ve installed Soda Theme, and I canā€™t enable it. I mean it has been disabled, and adding again ā€œthemeā€: ā€œSoda Dark.sublime-themeā€ in my .sublime-settings file does not have any effect.

Iā€™m on Ubuntu 11.04 64bit. Iā€™ve downloaded the relevant archive, extracted it and copied sublime_text into my Sublime Text dirā€¦

0 Likes