Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Dev Build 2178

Re: Dev Build 2178

Postby C0D312 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 pm

I just turned tabs on for the first time in a few builds... When did the tab bar get better contrast between active and unactive tabs? Whenever it was, thanks :)
C0D312

Postby natebeaty on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 pm

jps wrote:Dev Build 2178 is out now, with a long awaited new icon, done by The Iconfactory. Also in this build are a few misc tweaks, and several user-submitted vintage mode changes (thanks!).

Wow, it looks great! Will be nice not having to swap out the icon with every dev release.
natebeaty

Postby peppy on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 pm

The new icon feels quite lacking in contrast, and blurry at the edges — especially the top. I'm not sure whether I'd call it an improvement over the old one, which while ugly, was at least nicely defined and sharp.

Continuing to use one of the custom-made icons, so take my feedback with a grain of salt (http://puu.sh/h4wH for reference).
peppy

Postby malpeli on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 am

I gonna keep using this beautiful icon:
https://github.com/dmatarazzo/Sublime-Text-2-Icon

Very elegant and classy on my mac.
malpeli

Postby atomi on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 am

malpeli wrote:I gonna keep using this beautiful icon:
https://github.com/dmatarazzo/Sublime-Text-2-Icon

Very elegant and classy on my mac.

I didn't know it was that easy to change the icon. Thanks for the link.
atomi

Postby micsco on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:13 am

Need to update the favicon of the site!
micsco

Postby Thoom on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:28 am

I was excited to see that there was a new icon, so I downloaded the new build, and I didn't like it very much.

Then I thought about it a bit more, and now... I really don't like it. It clashes with every other icon in my dock because it's tilted so far backwards.

The Apple Human Interface Guidelines for icon design have this to say:

Apple wrote:Choose the right perspective for your icon. You want the perspective of your icon to match the perspective of other icons in the same genre. For example, a user app icon should look like it’s resting on a desk in front of you, whereas most utility app icons use a straight-on perspective.

I'm not sure whether to count Sublime Text as a user app or a utility app in this sense, but in either case, the perspective is way off.

I also think this clashes with Windows icon standards. Most Windows icons use the straight-on perspective.
Thoom

Postby facelessuser on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:34 am

Very nice update. The icon looks more professional too. Though the 'S' probably could use some sharpening up, I generally think it is nice.

The good news is people got their new icon which doesn't look like the terminal.

The bad news is, I don't believe an icon exists that can make everyone happy :) . But hey, it is pretty easy for people to change their icon.
facelessuser

Postby sublime_lover on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 am

Simply cannot believe how many whiners there are regarding the icon.... :shock:
Seriously there are so many more awesome things he could be spending his time on...Why hassle him about the icon?
sublime_lover

Postby minimalweb on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Simply cannot believe how many whiners there are regarding the icon....
Seriously there are so many more awesome things he could be spending his time on...Why hassle him about the icon?

I agree. I like the icon and I am glad he hired professionals to create it. I also think, choosing orange was a conscious decision. At least on the mac it sets sublime apart from all the popular editors.

Still, being super-picky about the icon also shows how passionate people are about ST. And that's a good thing ;)
minimalweb

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion