Sublime Forum

Newbie: cannot launch editor because of Direct3D error

Hi –

I’m trying to evaluate Sublime Text as an alternative to the E Text Editor, and am running into the following error when launching it:

Could not create Direct3D 9 Device. Please check that the computer has 3D graphics hardware, and you’re not running inside a virtual machine. If you’re still receiving this message after checking the above, you may want to let support@sublimetext.com know.

I have verified that I have DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) installed but am running on a Dell Latitude laptop that AFAIK doesn’t have special hardware support for 3D. Is 3D required to run this app?

Thx,

Ramon

0 Likes

You can try passing --opengl on the command line, which should let it run without a GPU, but it will likely run too slow to be much fun. If you turn off the minimap it may be ok.

0 Likes

Yes, this worked, although it is slower as you pointed out. Is this likely to be a requirement for the foreseeable future?

If so, are there preferences that can be configured to run in “laptop-without-GPU-mode”? For example, tell it to launch with --opengl by default and turn off the minimap?

Ramon

0 Likes

It will be a requirement for some time to come, yes. I’d like to implement software only rendering, but it will be quite some time before I can get it done.

Your minimap setting will be remembered, and you can specify opengl by defaut by adding the line ‘renderer opengl’ to Preferences/General Preferences.

0 Likes