Sublime Forum

Browser Preview

Interesting. This seems to work for Mac users:

{
    "cmd": "/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari", "$file"]
}

Except it opens the Sublime console and displayed this 3 times:

2012-02-09 16:34:06.860 Safari[64689:707] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.

Edit: the messages only happend the first time, when Safari launched. Can you prevent the console from opening on a build, though?

0 Likes

Might be better to use “open” command on Mac which should open file in the default browser.
And also add “selector” so that one doesn’t have to change to proper build system manually.

{ "cmd": "open", "$file"], "selector": "text.html, source.html, text.xml", }

0 Likes

Except open would open it in the default app, which I have set to Sublime. Right?

0 Likes

[quote=“rchl”]Might be better to use “open” command on Mac which should open file in the default browser.
And also add “selector” so that one doesn’t have to change to proper build system manually.

{ "cmd": "open", "$file"], "selector": "text.html, source.html, text.xml", }[/quote]

Okay,
but the “open” command only opens the dialog box to open a new document…in my case :wink:

0 Likes

Soory guys,
but if I´m creating an build-file like this:

[code]{
“cmd”: “/Applications/Safari.app”, “$file”],
“selector”: “text.html, source.html, text.xml”

}
[/code]
nothing happend!?
Any hint for me?

0 Likes

handycam originally suggested this was needed

"/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari"

Not sure if you’ve tried this already. You also need to then choose this option from Tools/ Build System/ Whatever.

0 Likes

As for OS X, you really want

"cmd": "open", "-a", "Safari", "$file"]

to force Safari to open the file. You can of course substitute Google Chrome or Firefox if you want.

0 Likes

[quote=“svenax”]As for OS X, you really want

to force Safari to open the file. You can of course substitute Google Chrome or Firefox if you want.[/quote]

How do I learn to do this? What I’m referring to is how would someone know to try:

Is this python code?

Thanks,
Rick

0 Likes

Damm,
I did an OS X update yesterday and know the build didn´t work and no browser obens.
Anybody a clue what I have to (re)do?

The curious thing is, when I open the build-file int sublime itself it opens the browser…

0 Likes

Okay,
I´m one step closer.

If I´m saving a document to my Desktop and execute the build, it works.
It did not work, if I´m saving the document in some subfolders like /projects/web/html.

If checked to set an relative path into my buildfile but I think it´s not right cause it didn´t work :wink:

{ "cmd": "open", "-a", "/Applications/Safari.app", "$file"] }

0 Likes

Okay,
I know the problem.
I´m german…hehe :wink: The prob was that I have a Folder with an mutated vowel.
I´ve renamed it and know it works!

0 Likes

You should just specify the application name as argument to open, not the full path. It will find the application itself using the launch services api.

0 Likes

[quote=“svenax”]As for OS X, you really want

to force Safari to open the file. You can of course substitute Google Chrome or Firefox if you want.[/quote]

FWIW, it works as you have it here but with “Google Chrome” it does not work as Chrome inserts “localhost” in the path:

file:///localhost/Users/handycam/Documents/survey1.html
0 Likes

Hi, what if we want to open a localhost page by doing something like this? we can open HTML pages directly but wondering if we could open php pages also by putting local host in URL somehow???

0 Likes

I’m using this and the “build results” window is opening up with ‘[Finished]’ as the message. Is there a way to prevent the window from openeing?

0 Likes

Would it be possible to open the file in multiple browsers?
I tried this and it didn’t work, obviously I’m just stabbing in the dark

{
	"cmd": "open", "-a", "Safari", "$file"],
        "cmd": "open", "-a", "Firefox", "$file"]
}
0 Likes

For me it only worked with

{
“cmd”: “c:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe”, “$file”]
}

I’m new to Sublime Text, and wondering if I’ll ever get used to how complicated things are here … Is Sublime Text for the Unix-hardened only? Or is it going to get simpler someday?

0 Likes

It’s JSON. See the second post in this thread for how to open the build file.

0 Likes

Is there any reason why you don’t create a plugin and use python webbrowser class ?

http://docs.python.org/2/library/webbrowser.html?highlight=webbrowser#webbrowser

0 Likes

github.com/titoBouzout/SideBarEnhancements and just press F12
ST3 github.com/titoBouzout/SideBarE … ourownrisk

0 Likes