Sublime Forum

More than one folder open in side bar?

I would like to have multiple folders open in my Side Bar, but it seems whenever I try to open a second folder, the first one is removed from the Side Bar. Any way to have two or more folders going at once there?

THANKS,
D

0 Likes

• Have you created a project?
  • How are you adding the second folder?

This is possible, btw.

0 Likes

I’ve not really looked into creating a project. Not sure what that entails. I guess I need to figure that out.

I’ve just have a couple of folders beneath an overall book directory, so:

Book Title
----Chapters
-------file 1
-------file 2
----Chapter scraps
-------file 1
-------file 2

0 Likes

I missed your second question, sorry. I’m opening the second folder simply by File > Open Folder.

0 Likes

duh… I’m an idiot. If I open the Book Title folder, the others come in under that. Sorry for wasting your time, guillermooo!
Thanks.

0 Likes

BUT, I would be curious to hear the advantages of using projects. It seems like more for programmers, no?

0 Likes

Projects simply keep the state of your err… project around, so you can switch between several --say-- books and every book project will have its own files open, settings, applied, etc. It’s a sort of an additional settings file :slight_smile: ST can’t have enough of them! But if you look at them as (ranked) layers of settings/preferences/whatnot, it kind of stops being too overwhelming.

I don’t think your problem is clear to me. Dragging folders onto ST should open them no problem and add more to the side bar; expanding/collapsing subfolders within a top folder should show/hide them, and all expanded folders should stay expanded when adding more folders. Everthing’s working fine here.

If you are, however, opening ST from the command line and passing it a directory as argument, by default it will do something rather annoying: it will open a second editor window, so it will look like the other folders have all of a sudden vanished from the sidebar. Again, I believe there’s a setting to change this behavior.

0 Likes

Ha. Now it’s me who’s missed your replies. Man, does this forum software suck.

0 Likes

Ha! That’s how neolithic I am—I didn’t know I could drag folders in. That works just fine, and just as you say.

And another OH!.. I see what you mean; the way I was opening folders, a new instance of ST opened every time.

I’ve got a lot to learn. BUT, I do love all the flexibility.

Thanks again for the help!

Dutch

0 Likes