Sublime Forum

Elastic scrolling

Is the lack of inertial scrolling on OS X Lion a bug, or are there plans to support it in the future? Coming from TextMate, this is the one thing in Sublime Text 2 that still makes it feel like a non-native application for me. Otherwise it’s pretty amazing for an application that supports all major operating systems.

0 Likes

Hmmm… I have inertial scrolling on my Mac. Check to see if you have scrolling speed set to something other than 1. (Preferences > Settings )

0 Likes

I’ve just tried the default setting, no change, but maybe my description should have been a little more detailed. It does work partially within document boundaries, but stops abruptly once i reach the beginning or end. TextMate, Safari, Chrome and pretty much all other native applications bounce slightly beyond document boundaries, which feels much more natural.

0 Likes

Oh, you mean elastic scrolling… No sublime text doesn’t support that behavior, however you can enable scroll_past_end so that hitting the top and bottom doesn’t feel so abrupt and unnatural.

0 Likes

I kinda wish ST2 implemented some nice slick scrolling behaviour to match the rest of it’s functionality and aesthetics. As it stands ST2 seems to take the scrolling behaviour from the OS and Windows and Linux both have kinda terrible scrolling (in Ubuntu it’s locked to 3 lines at a time, which is horribly slow and mostly useless in large files).

0 Likes

Hope this topic doesn’t go under just because i initially called it inertial scrolling instead of elastic scrolling. Are there any plans to add elastic scrolling? It’s pretty important for the OS X experience.

0 Likes

Don’t worry about it. I was just confused at first.

It has been requested a few times in the past. I doubt it’s high on Jon’s priority list since it would really only affect one OS. Being cross-platform it’s hard to include each OS’s unique features and qualities. Sorry that’s probably not the answer you want to hear :frowning:

0 Likes

Elastic Scrolling would be greet for OSX user indeed :smile:

0 Likes