Sublime Forum

Printing from sublime

old.nabble.com/Q:-preserve-synta … 38354.html

0 Likes

I often need to print my works done on my paid Sublime Text 2 editor and cannot. I hate having to add other editors to my clean OS just to be able to print with some level of formatting. I could have paid less for other editor options and had to do make far less effort to produce printed output, which sometimes is still necessary.

0 Likes

This is another chime for printing. How many does it take for this feature to bubble up high enough that it gets implemented?

0 Likes

I’ve bought Sublime 2. I love it. I would use printing. Mostly I print code for review, so what I most want is:

monospaced +
syntax highlighting +
sensible colours (not my dark theme!) +
line wrapping to fit the entire page in.

+1, etc. I promise to not make anyone who doesn’t want printing use the functionality.

0 Likes

Printing would definitely be useful for me. For the moment, I just open the file in TextWrangler to print, but that’s a step I could live without.

0 Likes

this is a necessary evil IMO - and it is a pain to have to leave sublime just to print!

0 Likes

Just another vote here. We use Sublime exclusively now at work (bought licenses for everyone) and I also use it at home. I do everything in it, all day, including keeping notes, bookkeeping, taxes, etc. I need to print out tax stuff, API documentation, JSON/XML examples etc., pretty often.

Since “done” is better than “perfect”, I would settle for a non-syntax highlighted, minimal print.

0 Likes

Take a look at HTML Export plugin available via Package Control. Exports your current file to your web browser with syntax highlighting. From there you can print…

Includes the line numbers if you have them showing, so keep that in mind.

0 Likes

I agree. If there is at least a workaround for now, I would rather the developer’s effort be focused on bugs and getting ST2 out of beta.

Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes

[quote=“jimbob”]Take a look at HTML Export plugin available via Package Control. Exports your current file to your web browser with syntax highlighting. From there you can print…

Includes the line numbers if you have them showing, so keep that in mind.[/quote]

Very nice.

0 Likes

Discovered Sublime today. Been using it for about an hour and was liking it…until I tried to print. No printing function is a huge deal breaker for me.

If I could print with syntax highlighting, it’d be a definite buy for me (especially since Visual Studio dropped color printing with VS2010).

0 Likes

Here’s a really simple solution for printing from Sublime Text. It is a plugin that sends the file of the current view to an external command that handles the printing. This works well enough for me. You can get it here if you want to try it: github.com/svenax/SublimePrint

Note that it currently doesn’t support Windows, though it will probably not be too hard to fix that.

0 Likes

Here’s another vote for printing.

0 Likes

Just another person stepping in to say I’d really like the print feature!

0 Likes

You might consider ExportHtml available via Package Control. It sends your code to your web-browser, optionally directly to a print-preview version. It can keep your theme colours, or you can use a specific, printer-friendly,theme. It also works with a selection, as well as the entire view.

You can decide whether or not to include line numbers and can even add Annotations - HTML pop-up notes :smiley:

0 Likes

Just another person stepping in to say I’d really like to see the printing feature to be added in future release!
I purchased a license when version 2 released. :wink:

0 Likes

+1 Yeah, printing would be nice… nothing fancy, just in monoscript with document name and page number.

0 Likes

+1 for a print feature. All that is needed is a fixed font, and a way to specify the font size so that I can print out code that may go over 80 chars wide.
Also if there is a way that this feature can be added via Python, please point us to the right API to use to implement it.

0 Likes

+1 for printing…

0 Likes

As I’m using SublimeText as an all-purpose text editor and I just pasted some text from SG Project into it so I could print the text, I was :open_mouth: flabbergasted :open_mouth: the print option was not available.

I had to go back :unamused: to TextMate to be able to print it. Of course I could have used TextEdit as well but that program is even more dormant than TextMate lately.

So: +1 for printing.

Now I’m considering this: would I have bought SublimeText if I’d knew printing wasn’t available? I think I would have stayed with TextMate. I’m now wondering what other surprises I might encounter: basic functionality I’d expect to exist with every text editor but for some reason missing from SublimeText. I think the SublimeText people should be honest and say “we don’t support printing your documents” on the home page. I’ve mentioned this on the wikipedia page regarding SublimeText just seconds ago.

0 Likes