Sublime Forum

Minimap sizing should be based on text, not window, size

I love the fullscreen mode of Sublime Text and use it completely to the exclusion of the normal windowed mode.

When the window is large (as it is in fullscreen), the minimap shows more and more whitespace (not whitespace characters, just empty space on the screen) to the right of the text, thus making the actual text part of the minimap smaller and smaller.

It would be nice to have the option of making the minimap consider only the width of the text. I realize this breaks the 1-1 correspondence between the screen and the minimap, so perhaps it is undesirable or impossible, but the fact is that as the window gets larger, the minimap gets less useful. To me at least.

0 Likes

I think I’ve experimented with that in the past, and it gets disconcerting when you are extending the width of the text (ie., typing on the longest line), and the miniap is changing around you. It’s been a while since I did it though.

You can always try working in two pane mode (Alt+2), so there’s less wasted whitespace in the main view, and hence less in the minimap also.

1 Like

My monitor isn’t quite wide enough to see 80 characters per pane in the two pane mode, and I actually really like having the whitespace all around. It feels very clean and focused.

0 Likes