Sublime Forum

Python - Using input?

Up until a few days ago I was using IDLE for my Python code - but then I stumbled upon Sublime Text 2. I love how sleek and fast it is, but I immediately ran into some problems with my code (I’m using Python 2.7.2) I tried:

word = input('Word: ')
print word

And when I tried to run with the build set to Python + F7 I got:

Word: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Daniel\Dropbox\Programming\Neo\NQ2AP\thing.bat", line 1, in <module>
    word = input('Word: ')
EOFError: EOF when reading a line
[Finished]

I’ve read multiple topics/pages around these forums and the internet of input not working because stdin isn’t connected to anything (https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/strange-is-this-a-bug/1136/1&hilit=python+input#wrap) this is pretty much a deal breaker for me editing my code in Sublime, constantly switching between Sublime and IDLE doesn’t seem to be the most efficient way of doing things. Is there any way to give input to my script in a similar fashion as the console receives it?

0 Likes

OSX SL, Python 2.7.2
OSX SL, Python 2.7.2

There’s no support for this

0 Likes

I also think its a deal breaker.

I cant see why this feature is not going to be added.

0 Likes

Try SublimeREPL (1.0.12) (via Package Controll). And then Tools -> SublimeREPL -> Python -> Python - RUN current file
It is not foolproof, but maybe it’ll work in your case

0 Likes

For some reason I can’t get SublimeREPL to work, whenever I try to use the interpreter through it I get: “[Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified” although it works on my Windows Vista Machine.

0 Likes

Probably because Python is not in your system path.

0 Likes

Yup. 99% it’s a PATH problem.
Check if Tools -> Build System -> Python is working, and if it’s not fix your system path.

There is also a way to fix it using extend_env in Main.sublime-menu

"extend_env": {"osx": {"PATH": "{PATH}:/usr/local/bin"}, "linux": {"PATH": "{PATH}:/usr/local/bin"}, "windows": {}},

But it will get overwritten during next update.
I’ll push a workaround for this common PATH problem soon that will survive package updates.

0 Likes

[quote=“wuub”]Yup. 99% it’s a PATH problem.
Check if Tools -> Build System -> Python is working, and if it’s not fix your system path.

There is also a way to fix it using extend_env in Main.sublime-menu

"extend_env": {"osx": {"PATH": "{PATH}:/usr/local/bin"}, "linux": {"PATH": "{PATH}:/usr/local/bin"}, "windows": {}},

But it will get overwritten during next update.
I’ll push a workaround for this common PATH problem soon that will survive package updates.[/quote]

I’ve found the Main.sublime-menu, but have no idea about how the indentations and brackets should be formatted. Could you post an example?

0 Likes

Leave Main.sublime-menu alone then :smile:

Add your python location to the SYSTEM path here, restart sublime and everything should work

0 Likes

Excellent, thanks!

0 Likes

Hi John,
Are there plans to support this ?

0 Likes

[quote=“wuub”]Leave Main.sublime-menu alone then :smile:

Add your python location to the SYSTEM path here, restart sublime and everything should work[/quote]

Thanks ,it also solve my peoblem.good job

0 Likes

This didn’t fix my problem, I’ve been trying to get this to work for hours now Q_Q any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. using sublime 3

0 Likes