Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Console key (Ctrl-`) not working on UK keyboards?

Console key (Ctrl-`) not working on UK keyboards?

Postby MikeC on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 pm

The menu command works fine. The keyboard shortcut does nothing.

I've reproduced this on two machines. One is an ancient Dell server running Win2003. The other is a recent laptop running Win7 64bit (and ST2 64bit), both with the builtin keyboard and a wireless one. About the only thing the two machines have in common is a UK keyboard.

sublime.log_input(True) shows nothing at all for Ctrl-`. It shows plain ` just fine (0x60), and Shift-` (0xac), and AltGr-` (0xa6), and Ctrl-c (control+c). But not Ctrl-`.

I'm pretty sure I've hit another ST2 feature which only worked from the menu rather than the advertised keyboard shortcut, but unfortunately can't remember what it was.
MikeC

Re: Console key (Ctrl-`) not working on UK keyboards?

Postby 200 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Hmm. Seems strange.

However, as a hotfix, can't you just remap it? Swap:
Code: Select all
{ "keys": ["ctrl+`"], "command": "show_panel", "args": {"panel": "console", "toggle": true} },

with
Code: Select all
{ "keys": ["ctrl+alt+c"], "command": "show_panel", "args": {"panel": "console", "toggle": true} },

for example..? Or doesn't that work either? (It works fine for me; however, using a norwegian keyboard (that doesn't have the `-button, so I'm kinda forced to remap it))

Postby lassem on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:37 pm

The default console key mapping does't work on Norwegian keyboards either.
To use ` on Norwegian keyboards you press shift-` (backslash key, next to backspace) and spacebar. Or whichever key you want to use ` as an accent on. à f.ex.

Anyhow, to map the console to ctrl+the key left of 1 you would have to map to ctrl+\ or ctrl+\\ as it is in the config file.

Loving Sublime so far. First time user. Used UltraEdit back in the day, but lately just vim and notepad...
lassem

Postby lassem on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Oh, forgot to mention. Remapping to ctrl+\\ in the config file allows you to use the equivalent of ctrl+` on a Norwegian keyboard but using ctrl+\ which you actually specify does NOT work... Go figure.
lassem

Postby hhbuitrago on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:55 am

On a Spanish keyboard the default key binding din't work. The key to the right of the number 1 is the | key, next to the backspace is the ¿ key and then the ' key. To get the ` key one needs to use Ctrl+Alt+} and then the key one wants to compose with, or space for the ` alone. After trying several other ways to use non letter keys I ended using the ctrl+alt+c sugested keymap.

Someone can tell me why these keys can't be used in a key mapping? I'm just starting with ST2, and there must be more commands with non working key mappings. I want to know which things to look for so i can workaround somehow.
hhbuitrago

Postby Fuxy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I have run into this problem aswell oddly enough everything seems to be in the right place when you use the plain keys however the moment i try to use key combinations i find that the ` key is not detected at all the ' is actually detected as ` and the # key is actually detected as ' . All the other seem to be in the right place.

Quite odd. So basically Ctrl+' is actually Ctrl+` for me.

Hope it's of any help to somebody.
Fuxy

Postby kblomqvist on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:19 pm

This is also problem with Finnish keyboards. First I tried to map console window to Ctrl+§ but that didn't work. Atm. I'm using Ctrl+Shift+Insert that I feel quite convenient.
kblomqvist

Postby kblomqvist on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm

lassem wrote:Oh, forgot to mention. Remapping to ctrl+\\ in the config file allows you to use the equivalent of ctrl+` on a Norwegian keyboard but using ctrl+\ which you actually specify does NOT work... Go figure.

That's because \ is an escape character. Thus \\ is the correct form to specify \.
kblomqvist

Postby JoePerkins on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Same problem here with spanish keyboard :/
JoePerkins

Return to Technical Support