Sublime Forum

Dragging multiple files to ST2 should open in same window

I’m split on the new change in 2078 for OS X to open files in their own window.

I’m not sure if this is a bug, but I definitely think if you drag multiple files to the icon, they should open as a single window, with a tab for each file, as opposed to each file having its own window.

As to the general idea of opening a new window for each file – there are also times when I prefer the old behavior. When I do happen to do remote-editing from an FTP application, sending files to ST2 from ForkLift, I like the files to keep opening in the same window in separate tabs. Is this new behavior controllable by preference somehow?

In short: for my workflow, I’d like it to open a new window if multiple files or a folder is sent to ST2, but keep the old behavior if a single file is sent to ST2.

0 Likes

Will fix for the next build

0 Likes

Excellent, multiple files sent to ST2 open as tabs in a window perfectly now. Thanks.

Is it possible to turn off by prefs the new behavior that opens a single file in its own window? I prefer the old behavior, where a single file opens as a tab in the currently active window.

0 Likes

I second this. MacVim allows you to configure how you’d like new files to be opened when the application is already running and you double-click a file from the Finder. My preference is to have the file open in a new tab beside the last active file, by default, not open a new window for the file. Is there a way to configure this in Sublime?

0 Likes

This is controlled by the open_files_in_new_window global setting, which was added in build 2083

0 Likes

Fantastic. Thank you!

0 Likes

I just ugraded to 2181. When opening a document, it opens in a new window. In Global.sublime-settings, line 42, I see “open_files_in_new_window”: false, but it documents still open in a new window.
What to do? Thank you.

0 Likes

Never mind. I was looking at
Sublime Text 2/Backup/20120222085615/Default/Global.sublime-settings
instead of
Sublime Text 2/Packages/Default/Preferences.sublime-settings

0 Likes