Sublime Forum

Edit > Wrap has issues with both adding and deleting chars

Edit > Wrap does some things that I don’t expect, and don’t want. In some cases it duplicates chars and in other cases it deletes chars.

This is in ST2 build 2181, Windows XP SP3.

Take this text for example:

Section One

Section Two

* One The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

* Two The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

* Three The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

When I select all of that and use Edit > Wrap > Wrap paragraph at 70 characters, I expect to get this:

Section One

Section Two

* One The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox
jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

* Two The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox
jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

* Three The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown
fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog

I actually get this:

Section One

Section Two

* One The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox
* jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

* Two The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox
* jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

* Three The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown
* fox jumps over the lazy dog The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
* dog

ST2 has added asterisks that I don’t want, and deleted asterisks that I wanted (not to mention the ellipsis I used as a placeholder).

I wonder if the addition of the asterisks is intentional, and maybe that would be desirable in some cases, but it would only be desirable to me as an option, not as the only behavior available. I don’t see why the deletion of the other characters would be intentional.

If any of this is intentional, then is there an alternative command, or configuration settings to adjust the way this works?

In TextPad there’s a Split Wrapped Lines command that behaves the way I want. If the addition of the asterisks in this case is intentional, then I’d like there to be a different command, Split Wrapped Lines like TextPad’s, or Split Lines at XX Chars.

Some similar issues have been reported before:

0 Likes