Sublime Forum

Thoughts on renaming a plugin

I’m thinking about renaming a plugin but I’d like to solicit input from the plugin development community first. Beyond user confusion, what are some of the ramifications of renaming a plugin? It’s available through Package Control, so I’d need to address that, but I think there is a mechanism available in Package Control specifically for renaming. I may be wrong on that.

So what are some things I need to think about?

0 Likes

Yes, there is a renamed_packages key available both in the default channel and individual repos that will rename a package from its old name to its new name. A few developers have done this.

I had hopes to work with some developers on cleaning up some of their package names for better consistency, but I’ve managed to exhaust all of my free time on various projects, so I never really got around to starting it.

0 Likes

yeah I did this on one of my plugins and it sucked. Admittedly, this was before wbond added the new renaming features to Package Control…

0 Likes

Thanks for all the input. I think I’m going to forgo the name change. It’s not absolutely necessary anyway. I just think it should have been named differently.

0 Likes