Sublime Forum

Closing the Find Bar

Hello Guys,

Software is awesome- on the verge of purchasing. I have to ask, though, why no “X” on the find bar? I tried using the hotkey twice to close it, but that doesnt work either. I occasionally press ctrl+f on accident, as I have another hotkey that is very similar. In order to close the find bar that comes up, I have to click on one of the find buttons- there is no x, and ctrl+f a second time doesnt close this bar?

Ideally, ctrl+f would toggle the find bar for me, instead of just opening it.

Let me know.

Thank you,
Mikel Bitson

0 Likes

Hitting the “escape” key will close the find bar or any open output consoles.

0 Likes

:astonished: And this is where I feel like an idiot.

Thank you sir.

Still think hotkeys should toggle- but this works for me.

0 Likes

You’ll get used to hitting escape all the time. Escape is also used to cancel out of multi-select (reduce multiple selections down to one selection).

0 Likes

There should still be a close button.

0 Likes

I am not sure if a close button should be added. But besided the escape key, it seems logical to me to toggle the find bar by pressing Ctrl+F again.

1 Like

I like the escape button, but I usually navigate with whatever is closer (mouse or keyboard). If I’m holding the mouse, I look for an ‘X’ button. If I’m typing on the keyboard I look for ‘ESC’ or ‘CTRL + F’ or whatever. The ‘X’ would be nice. This is the only minor complaint I’ve had, it’s not a ‘deal breaker’. I really love everything about sublime text. It’s fast, except for when a plugin is acting up, but the plugins are awesome (python & go, and anything else you could dream of). I only wish I didn’t have to switch control over to the mouse/keyboard for this one Find/Replace bar. Would it be all that bad to squeeze a little ‘x’ into one of the corners (preferably the right-upper, since that is where the main action buttons are)?

0 Likes

Sublime Text 3 has an ‘X’ on the find panel, FWIW

0 Likes

[size=150]If you guys want to activate the Toggle for the Search Bar[/size]

Just go to :

Preferences > Key Binding - Default

It will open a new tab where you can edit the default key binding settings.
Now search for “ctrl+f” in the file to find the search bar shortcut line.

Want you have to do now is juste adding “toggle”: true at then and of the line in the last bracket : { “keys”… “args”: {“panel”: “find”, “toggle”:true} }
Dont remember to place a coma (",") between the arguments.

if you you want to be sure not to do any mistake here’s the full line: (line 215)

[code]{ "keys": "ctrl+f"], "command": "show_panel", "args": {"panel": "find", "toggle": true} },[/code]

Dont forget to save the file and that’s it you can close it and enjoy toggling your Search Bar ^^

(I assume you can do that for any bar that shows up at the bottom.)

2 Likes