Sublime Forum

Faded text in 2181

I installed the 2181 update last night, and now the text in the actual work window is extremely faded – to the point of being almost unreadable. I’ve attached a screenshot of what the text looks like, along with the About SublimeText window. As you can see, the about text is crisp and bright in comparison. Odder still, this is only happening on one of my logins. When I open ST2 as the admin user, the text is as bright and readable as ever.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I’m hoping there’s just some goofy thing in ST2 or in OSX that I’m not aware of causing this…

This is happening on OSX Lion 10.7.2. All of the themes seem to be affected. Happens on both external monitor and the macbook’s monitor.

0 Likes

Just for comparison, this is what ST2 looks like using another login. Same machine, same monitor.

0 Likes

In the Console (View/Show Console) there should be a line similar to:

using gamma: 2 (err: 6.9282)

Could you let me know if it’s reporting something different from the above?

Also, it’d be worth running this command in Terminal on the two different logins to see if different results are reported:

defaults -currentHost read -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing
0 Likes

Obviously the examples are not using the same font, so maybe the faded one is suffering from some font substitution problem?

0 Likes

Both logins showed:

using gamma: 1 (err: 0)

The AppleFontSmoothing command also resulted in the same response on both logins:

The domain/default pair of (kCFPreferencesAnyApplication, AppleFontSmoothing) does not exist

“Use LCD font smoothing when available” is checked in the system preferences.

0 Likes

Solved! But I don’t know how. I opened it today and everything looks the way it should. Sooo… yay! I guess! At least I can get work done again without having to use some other editor. Those were sad days, let me tell you…

0 Likes

Solved for real this time. The problem was in my user settings, where there was an empty font_face entry (font_face: ]) that the working login didn’t have. This seemed to be causing the font substitution problem or whatever it was.

Just posting in case anyone else runs into the problem and finds this useful.

0 Likes

I am having this exact issue, yet I do not have the font face setting issue that you spoke of. I can not seem to fix this and currently, my Sublime is unusable.

0 Likes

Also, this does not happen when I open a new tab, or when I edit my user settings. This happens to all my other files though, despite the current syntax.

0 Likes