Sublime Forum

Help me associate files with ST2!

Hi all,

I am having trouble convincing my Windows 7 to open Sublime Text when doubleclicking on files in Explorer. I get a dialog popup asking me “Open with”. When chosing Sublime Text and clicking “Always use the selected program…”, Sublime opens once but this setting is not remembered. Next time I double click on the same file I get the dialog again.

Now my system might be pretty messed up, since I had most extensions associated with UltraEdit first (now uninstalled), and I switched Sublime Text paths (first used the 32 bit version, now 64 bit). I deinstalled both and did a clean install of Sublime Text, but unfortunately this did not solve anything.

I tried the trick suggested by someone on this forum to fix the Sublime executable path in HKCR\Applications\sublime_text.exe\shell\open\command. Indeed that path was wrong, it pointed to an old install directory. After this, Sublime Text popped up in the “Open with” dialog again (I used to not even be able to select it), but Sublime still won’t be remembered as the default application for any file type.

In Control Panel, all my text extensions (.txt etc…) seem to be associated with “Unknown Application”. When I double click on the extension to change it to Sublime Text, it accepts Sublime but Windows still does not remember it. It remains “Unknown Application”.

Any input would be welcome!

0 Likes

yea when i browse with open with and click the sublime_text.exe nothing happens and I can’t set it either. didnt have a prob with 2165 but when i upgraded to 2181 thats when this accured. i tryed using both 32 and 64 bit versions. Also for some reason when i downloaded the 64 bit the icon didn’t work

0 Likes

Yeah, isn’t it crazy? I don’t know how to fix it on OS X either, but that could be my own fault.

0 Likes

In OSX, you can click on a file in Finder and press command-i. Then in the get-info box, under the “Open with” section, choose Sublime Text. Then press “change all” to associate all files with that extension to open in ST2.

0 Likes

Awesome!

On a related note, I also solved the problem on Windows. I’ll post it here, in case anyone makes the switch from UltraEdit to Sublime Text and has the same problem.

It appears that UltraEdit associated many extensions with itself, and after an uninstall did not quite remove them. Then I got the following situation (see attachment). Sublime Text would not associate with any of the extensions, the association with “Unknown application” remained.

I resolved it by using “Unassoc, An Utility to Unassociate File Types in Windows 7 and Vista”: winhelponline.com/articles/2 … Vista.html

In Unassoc, I searched the extensions and pressed “Remove file association (User)”. After that, I could associate them with Sublime Text without any problems.

0 Likes