Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Exclude files without extensions from project?

Exclude files without extensions from project?

Postby pete340 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:17 pm

My project generates several executable files which follow the usual Unix convention of not having an extension on their name. How do I exclude those files from my project? I've tried a couple of things in the "file_exclude_patterns" setting, but haven't succeeded.
pete340

Re: Exclude files without extensions from project?

Postby pete340 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:06 pm

pete340 wrote:My project generates several executable files which follow the usual Unix convention of not having an extension on their name. How do I exclude those files from my project? I've tried a couple of things in the "file_exclude_patterns" setting, but haven't succeeded.

Anyone?
pete340

Postby jps on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:27 pm

Please list the file name in question, and the filter that you're trying to use to exclude it.
jps
Site Admin

Postby pete340 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:18 pm

jps wrote:Please list the file name in question, and the filter that you're trying to use to exclude it.

It's not just one file. That's easy. It's about a dozen files, so I'd prefer not to exclude each one individually.

The files have names like:

tfloat
tdouble
tlong_double

there are corresponding files with a .c extension:

tfloat.c
tdouble.c
tlong_double.c

that should not be excluded. If I wanted to exclude them, the expression would be "*.c". Haven't figured out how to say "doesn't have a '.'".
pete340

Postby jps on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:58 am

Unfortunately there's no wildcard that will match all files with no extension, the only option is to use a set of patterns along the lines of ["tfloat", "tdouble", "tlong_double"].
jps
Site Admin

Postby pete340 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

jps wrote:Unfortunately there's no wildcard that will match all files with no extension, the only option is to use a set of patterns along the lines of ["tfloat", "tdouble", "tlong_double"].

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Oh, and a minor suggestion: grep has -v, to return lines that don't match the regular expression. Maybe something similar for matching in the exclude_xxx contexts? "!*.*"?
pete340

Return to Technical Support