Sublime Forum

Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

I believe in giving credit where credit is due; this is an amazing tool for Sublime Text 2. I probably wouldn’t - couldn’t, even - use Sublime without it. Great job! I’ll definately throw a few dollars your way, if that helps you keeping up the good work!

0 Likes

I’m confused. Does this allow me to browse through a remote directory on the sidebar like a local directory? Browse Server just seems to list the folders and let me navigate but only in a popup each time

0 Likes

Unfortunately Sublime does not currently have an API to manipulate the sidebar, so server browsing happens through the quick panel. If you want to try and treat a remote project as a local project you should try out expandrive.com/ or if you are on a Mac, Transit also has a mount option.

Alternatively you can download the whole project and use the Sync Remote -> Local functionality to look for changes. This can take some time depending on the side of the remote folder structure and how fast your connection is.

0 Likes

Hmm, that’s a shame. The way I currently work is on a remote server where the directory is very large to download and changes regularly, so it’s been easier to browse and edit files directly. I guess I can try to get used to the quick bar or try one of those mounting options. Do you know if a sidebar API is coming in a future release?

edit: Expandrive works great!

0 Likes

It keeps crashing when uploading even more than 10 files on linux/Ubuntu.

0 Likes

Please turn on debug logging to level 2 (support@wbond.net.

0 Likes

Were you using nightly version 2184, 2185, or 2186? It appears there were some crashing issues with those which may be your issue. Normally after 10 uploads a popup appears reminding you that you need to register for anything other than evaluation purposes.

0 Likes

Hi, I just bought your very nice program but I can’t figure out to make it remember my ftp password. When I’m working on some files and, maybe once every 10 minutes, I wan’t to upload something, I’m beeing asked for the password. Sometimes I don’t notice it and begin wondering why the changes won’t occur…

0 Likes

There is a password field in the config file (for both the Server and Remote workflows). If you enter it there, you won’t need to enter it when you connect. Unfortunately for the sake of not destroying the formatting and comments in the config files, it is not possible to save the password when you are prompted for it.

0 Likes

Oh, shame on me, I din’t see that field… Thanks alot! :smile:

0 Likes

So, I know that Sublime doesn’t currently have an API for custom sidebar items, so I was wondering, how hard would it be to create fake files in the filesystem so they show up in the sidebar and have them download when they are opened the first time?

0 Likes

It would take as much time as it currently does to do a remote -> local sync. The slow part is recursively parsing every remote folder to see the current contents. Normally when syncing remotely to locally there aren’t that many files changed. It is usually that a user has a large folder structure, or a connection that is no super-fast that causes it to be slow process.

For users that want to work on remote files as if they were local, with the full functionality of Sublime, you should try out expandrive.com. Some users find it fast enough, other find it too laggy.

The way to get the absolute best performance of working on remote files as if they were local is to make a local copy and use rsync to copy down the latest changes. This requires that the user have SSH access to the box and the rsync program installed locally and remotely. This can very efficiently detect the differences between files and it only transfers the data necessary to synchronize the two copies. There is still the limitation that you need to rsync pretty frequently if other users are also modifying the files.

Eventually people tend come to the conclusion that using a version control system is the best way to handle multiple people working on the same files, and ensuring that data is not lost. :smile: Unfortunately this is not always feasible based on project constraints.

0 Likes

Dude, very nice plugin. One question; When I do an upload or download progress is displayed on a type of console window at the bottom of sublime, that’s nice. But how to stop the window disappearing on FTP completion? Is there a way to bring the window back so I can view the transfers that have taken place. Ta

0 Likes

I get that downloading the list of files is slow (FTP is slow as a general rule) but it wouldn’t have to download all the files. It could just create blank ones to match the structure of the remote machine.

[quote=“wbond”]
For users that want to work on remote files as if they were local, with the full functionality of Sublime, you should try out expandrive.com. Some users find it fast enough, other find it too laggy.[/quote]

ExpanDrive doesn’t work on Linux. Filezilla has the ability to edit remote files using temporaries too. SFTP is better anyway. Seeing all the files listed in the sidebar is mostly just a convenience, albeit a very nice one.

Also, an irritation I found when trying to download several individual files using the quick panel is that it disappears when the bottom panel is closed, so downloading several files in a row (from multiple folders) is a bit frustrating with auto-close turned on. Would it be possible to delay closing the panel at least until the quick-panel has been closed?

0 Likes

Setting the hide_output_panel (wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/ … SFTP_Panel).

0 Likes

[quote=“ricochet1k”]

I get that downloading the list of files is slow (FTP is slow as a general rule) but it wouldn’t have to download all the files. It could just create blank ones to match the structure of the remote machine.[/quote]

No, it doesn’t need to download all files, but it needs to list every remote folder to find all of the files to replicate as blank files. That process of listing folders tends to be pretty slow for lots of servers.

[quote=“ricochet1k”]

[quote=“wbond”]
For users that want to work on remote files as if they were local, with the full functionality of Sublime, you should try out expandrive.com. Some users find it fast enough, other find it too laggy.[/quote]

ExpanDrive doesn’t work on Linux. Filezilla has the ability to edit remote files using temporaries too. SFTP is better anyway. Seeing all the files listed in the sidebar is mostly just a convenience, albeit a very nice one.[/quote]

It is actually way simpler, and free, on Linux using sshfs. Here is some example documentation: turingtarpit.com/2009/04/mou … macfusion/.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell when the quick panel is open, and the command that closes the SFTP panel also ends up closing the quick panel. That said, the output panel does not seem to hide after downloading a file. For most (if not all) server workflow operations I skip hiding the SFTP output panel so that the quick panel is not closed inadvertently. Instead, I am just not re-opening the quick panel since I make the assumption that if you want to download a file, it is to edit it.

0 Likes

trying to setup a “remote_path”: “/”, but keeps uploading all my local path “/Users/blabla/project/deploy” to remote…what im missing ?

thx in advance

0 Likes

Hey!

i have one question about SFTP and FTP plugin “ignore_regex” param. Is it possible, to ignore folder/subfolder/files with some extension?
For example:
I need to ignore all .xls files in this directory files/docs/
ignore_regex - files/docs - works for all files, but files/docs/
//.xls doesn’t.

P.s. i’m not good on regex, so i think there should be some regex, for my problem :smile:

Any help is welcome! Thanks in advance :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“elkraneo”]trying to setup a “remote_path”: “/”, but keeps uploading all my local path “/Users/blabla/project/deploy” to remote…what im missing ?

thx in advance[/quote]

What local folder do you have your sftp-config.json in? If you set the remote_path to /, your local path will be converted to / on the remote system. For example, if sftp-config.json is inside of /home/will/files/ and the remote path is /, then uploading /home/will/files/css/main.css will upload it to /css/main.css.

0 Likes

[quote=“kuku”]Hey!

i have one question about SFTP and FTP plugin “ignore_regex” param. Is it possible, to ignore folder/subfolder/files with some extension?
For example:
I need to ignore all .xls files in this directory files/docs/
ignore_regex - files/docs - works for all files, but files/docs/
//.xls doesn’t.

P.s. i’m not good on regex, so i think there should be some regex, for my problem :smile:

Any help is welcome! Thanks in advance :smile:[/quote]

The following takes the default ignore_regex and adds all .xls files inside of files/docs to the list:

"(files/docs/.*\\.xls|\\.sublime-project|\\.sublime-workspace|sftp-config(-alt\\d?)?\\.json|sftp-settings\\.json|/venv/|\\.svn|\\.hg|\\.git|\\.bzr|_darcs|CVS|\\.DS_Store|Thumbs\\.db|desktop\\.ini)"
0 Likes