Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby wbond on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:51 am

OutThisLife wrote:It keeps crashing when uploading even more than 10 files on linux/Ubuntu.


Please turn on debug logging to level 2 (http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/support) and send me the debug log along with details about what version of Ubuntu you are using, what architecture and what version of Sublime. All of this should be sent to support@wbond.net.
wbond
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby wbond on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:27 pm

OutThisLife wrote:It keeps crashing when uploading even more than 10 files on linux/Ubuntu.


Were you using nightly version 2184, 2185, or 2186? It appears there were some crashing issues with those which may be your issue. Normally after 10 uploads a popup appears reminding you that you need to register for anything other than evaluation purposes.
wbond
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby linusan on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 am

Hi, I just bought your very nice program but I can't figure out to make it remember my ftp password. When I'm working on some files and, maybe once every 10 minutes, I wan't to upload something, I'm beeing asked for the password. Sometimes I don't notice it and begin wondering why the changes won't occur...
linusan
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby wbond on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 pm

linusan wrote:Hi, I just bought your very nice program but I can't figure out to make it remember my ftp password. When I'm working on some files and, maybe once every 10 minutes, I wan't to upload something, I'm beeing asked for the password. Sometimes I don't notice it and begin wondering why the changes won't occur...


There is a password field in the config file (for both the Server and Remote workflows). If you enter it there, you won't need to enter it when you connect. Unfortunately for the sake of not destroying the formatting and comments in the config files, it is not possible to save the password when you are prompted for it.
wbond
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby linusan on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:32 pm

There is a password field in the config file (for both the Server and Remote workflows). If you enter it there, you won't need to enter it when you connect. Unfortunately for the sake of not destroying the formatting and comments in the config files, it is not possible to save the password when you are prompted for it.

Oh, shame on me, I din't see that field... Thanks alot! :-)
linusan
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby ricochet1k on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 pm

So, I know that Sublime doesn't currently have an API for custom sidebar items, so I was wondering, how hard would it be to create fake files in the filesystem so they show up in the sidebar and have them download when they are opened the first time?
ricochet1k
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:02 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby wbond on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:00 pm

ricochet1k wrote:So, I know that Sublime doesn't currently have an API for custom sidebar items, so I was wondering, how hard would it be to create fake files in the filesystem so they show up in the sidebar and have them download when they are opened the first time?


It would take as much time as it currently does to do a remote -> local sync. The slow part is recursively parsing every remote folder to see the current contents. Normally when syncing remotely to locally there aren't that many files changed. It is usually that a user has a large folder structure, or a connection that is no super-fast that causes it to be slow process.

For users that want to work on remote files as if they were local, with the full functionality of Sublime, you should try out http://www.expandrive.com. Some users find it fast enough, other find it too laggy.

The way to get the absolute best performance of working on remote files as if they were local is to make a local copy and use rsync to copy down the latest changes. This requires that the user have SSH access to the box and the rsync program installed locally and remotely. This can very efficiently detect the differences between files and it only transfers the data necessary to synchronize the two copies. There is still the limitation that you need to rsync pretty frequently if other users are also modifying the files.

Eventually people tend come to the conclusion that using a version control system is the best way to handle multiple people working on the same files, and ensuring that data is not lost. :-) Unfortunately this is not always feasible based on project constraints.
wbond
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby nzmuzzer on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Dude, very nice plugin. One question; When I do an upload or download progress is displayed on a type of console window at the bottom of sublime, that's nice. But how to stop the window disappearing on FTP completion? Is there a way to bring the window back so I can view the transfers that have taken place. Ta
nzmuzzer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby ricochet1k on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:58 am

wbond wrote:It would take as much time as it currently does to do a remote -> local sync. The slow part is recursively parsing every remote folder to see the current contents. Normally when syncing remotely to locally there aren't that many files changed. It is usually that a user has a large folder structure, or a connection that is no super-fast that causes it to be slow process.

I get that downloading the list of files is slow (FTP is slow as a general rule) but it wouldn't have to download all the files. It could just create blank ones to match the structure of the remote machine.

wbond wrote:For users that want to work on remote files as if they were local, with the full functionality of Sublime, you should try out http://www.expandrive.com. Some users find it fast enough, other find it too laggy.

ExpanDrive doesn't work on Linux. Filezilla has the ability to edit remote files using temporaries too. SFTP is better anyway. Seeing all the files listed in the sidebar is mostly just a convenience, albeit a very nice one.

Also, an irritation I found when trying to download several individual files using the quick panel is that it disappears when the bottom panel is closed, so downloading several files in a row (from multiple folders) is a bit frustrating with auto-close turned on. Would it be possible to delay closing the panel at least until the quick-panel has been closed?
ricochet1k
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:02 am

Re: Sublime SFTP and FTP Plugin (w/ Remote Browsing)

Postby wbond on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:08 pm

nzmuzzer wrote:Dude, very nice plugin. One question; When I do an upload or download progress is displayed on a type of console window at the bottom of sublime, that's nice. But how to stop the window disappearing on FTP completion? Is there a way to bring the window back so I can view the transfers that have taken place. Ta


Setting the hide_output_panel (http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/ ... tput_panel) setting to false will cause the panel to stay open. You can re-open it using the Show SFTP Panel command (http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/ ... SFTP_Panel).
wbond
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests