Sublime Forum

Spam attack!

Don’t know if it’s the price of success, but spam become to be really annoying on this forum.
It is always quickly removed (by Jon I suppose), but it’s screw View new posts view and take probably too much time to managed.

Even if I don’t like it, don’t you think it’s time to put some kind of CAPTCHA when you post something ?

0 Likes

0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! spammers :confused:

0 Likes

Captcha would solve it to some extent… Spammers are getting clever these days.

The other option could be to have a couple of moderators in different timezones to moderate the forum and delete the spam on Jons behalf.

0 Likes

How abouth an email verification and a decent capcha at registration?
The ‘sublime2’ text you need to enter at registration is so easy for bots to read out …

0 Likes

If I ever got a penny for every spammer I’ve banned here… :wink:

I’m missing a “Ban by IP and Kill Slowly and Painfully” option in the mod control panel, though.

0 Likes

Solution is kinda simple, just add custom profile field which is require to fill. This totaly helped me to get rid of spam on my forum. More at phpbb forum phpbb.com/kb/article/custom- … mmer-tool/ :mrgreen:

0 Likes

Mylith: The forum has had something along those lines for a long time. It was effective for a few years, but isn’t any more.

I’ve changed the check field now so the required keyword is displayed via JavaScript, and only after the username is entered. Hopefully this will reduce any automated spam.

0 Likes

@guillermooo and whoever else moderates the forum:

Is reporting spam using the forum’s reporting tool useful to you? Or does it just add to your overhead? (The spam that’s been popping up is pretty easy to spot.)

Alex

0 Likes

Doesn’t the reporting tool automatically delete posts which are indicated as spam by a set amount of individuals?

0 Likes

Times like this you got to ask yourself when did I last click with Ken Thompson?

0 Likes

[quote=“guillermooo”]If I ever got a penny for every spammer I’ve banned here… :wink:

I’m missing a “Ban by IP and Kill Slowly and Painfully” option in the mod control panel, though.[/quote]

You’re a mod? Who knew :smile:

0 Likes

There was another spam attack by wallion or whatever his name was. Posts everything, but they didn’t exist, nor did the user. Spooky :sunglasses:

0 Likes

[quote=“quodlibet”]@guillermooo and whoever else moderates the forum:

Is reporting spam using the forum’s reporting tool useful to you? Or does it just add to your overhead? (The spam that’s been popping up is pretty easy to spot.)

Alex[/quote]

It’s especially helpful when there’s many topics by the same author. I glance over a couple of topics and if the author’s the same one and all have been flagged I just ban the user. Generally speaking it’s useful and I don’t see any downside to reporting suspicious posts.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]
You’re a mod? Who knew :)[/quote]

One day I just noticed there were more icons than usual :open_mouth:

I feel more like an anti-spam device, though. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“quodlibet”]@guillermooo and whoever else moderates the forum:

Alex[/quote]

I find it helpful when I log in because it is instantly apparent (reported posts have a red background). Most of the spam patterns are pretty easy to detect, like posts in 10 different topics in a row by the same author. It just takes some time to go through it when they create a lot.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]
I’ve changed the check field now so the required keyword is displayed via JavaScript, and only after the username is entered. Hopefully this will reduce any automated spam.[/quote]

Look like it’s not enough viewtopic.php?f=2&p=26590#p26590

0 Likes

Thanks for the insight. (I’ve never moderated a forum and had no understanding of the logistics behind it.) I’ll keep reporting evil spammy users.

0 Likes

User bertatwq looks like a spambot who sticks to comments. Thanks for your vigilance!

0 Likes

Spam just gets smarter.

Some of them I have reported have duplicated a comment from a user who previously posted in that same topic.

0 Likes