Sublime Forum

Nightly Build 2188

Not necessarily related to this release but since it was added, drag_text has never worked on Snow Leopard for me. However, on my Lion machine it works great.

0 Likes

Historical problem solved. Thank you!

Any chance in some future version of SublimeText pressing “ESC” during the search move the cursor back to the place where it was? :smile:

Your daily work with quick results is really impressive Mr. Skinner. I have in you a personal hero.
Thank you for the beautiful example of how to lead a good project.
:smiley:

0 Likes

Nothing to see here… moving on.

0 Likes

I have a problem with SQL-strings in PHP code. If string doesn’t start with SELECT-word, then syntax highlighter works not correctly. This problem may be shown when SQL-string consist of 2 or more strings.
Please, fix it.

0 Likes

How else is it supposed to detect the string contains SQL and highlight it? Through my usage I’ve noticed any string which matches /^(SELECT|INSERT|UPDATE|DELETE|REPLACE)\s/ will be considered as SQL and highlighted accordingly.

I Presume you mean something like this:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE hello='".$world."' AND foo='bar' ORDER BY something ASC";

On my install (Windows 7 x64), verything befor $world is highlighted as SQL, everything after is not.
I don’t think this is a bug as such. The way I see it it’s not highlighting the second half of the SQL because ST2 doesn’t have a deep understanding of PHP, so it isn’t aware you’re concatenating two strings, it just sees two separate strings separated by .$world. (Based on my observations, someone correct me if I’m wrong).

A way round this is to use double quotes for the SQL string and {} to place your variables within it. For Example:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE hello='{$world}' AND foo='bar' ORDER BY something ASC";

The whole string is highlighted as you’d expect (or at least how I expect :smile: ).

Hope that helps.

0 Likes

Hi,
I have two minor issues with the “Indentation: Reindent Lines” command (not related to 2188, happend in earlier builds, too). File Syntax set to PHP:

<?php
function foo1()
{
echo "Test 1 )";
echo "Test 2";
}
function foo2()
{
// Test
echo "Test 3";
}
?>

After Reindent Lines:

<?php
function foo1()
{
    echo "Test 1 )";
echo "Test 2";
}
function foo2()
{
// Test
    echo "Test 3";
}
?>

Reproducable Problems: Strings that contain ‘)’ and Line-Comments. My Indentation is set to Spaces, “smart_indent” is off.

Not too important, but I thought to mention it anyway.

Regards, Thorsten.

0 Likes

hmmmm… Been nearly a week since the last nightly. Not sure If I should be worried or excited. Either way, I’m definitely spoiled from all those frequent updates.

0 Likes

Haha, the exact same reason I came to the forums. I use ST2 several hours each day and today it hit me huh, I haven’t had an update in a few days!.

That’s the problem with Jon’s release scheduelle, it is very exiting to see these quick iterations every several days, but it also creates the expectation of this being the standard instead of the exception. I guess moving to the nightly builds for registered users was a good idea to offset this problem. We already paid, so we’re more willing to wait and not whine about the “lack” of updates (those are VERY big quotes there).

Anyway, funny to see other people anticipating new updates as well, love the software, love the development of the software and would love to see a 1.0 release in the near future (if only to get jon the deserved media attention and the accompanied boost in sales).

0 Likes

Version 1.4 is out since months :wink:

But this version totally disappeared from the web site, didn’t found a link to download it.
Maybe ST2 final release is imminent ?

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]

Version 1.4 is out since months :wink:

But this version totally disappeared from the web site, didn’t found a link to download it.
Maybe ST2 final release is imminent ?[/quote]

Well, for me (as an OSX user) 2.0 is the new 1.0 :sunglasses:

0 Likes

In Latex mode, if I press Control, Shift, W and then b on a selected text it will surround it with html bold tags. If I open the snippets menu and select the snippet from there it works correctly.

Regards,

Nikos

0 Likes

Yea, if we’re not getting actual nightlys’ then I don’t think it should be called that. Maybe change these to dev releases, and dev to release candidates instead?

0 Likes

It’s only possible to be visibly productive in that mode if you have a lot of experience and are working on incremental improvements.

I’m actually more interested when there is silence, as though there’s a good chance it’s just burnout, it also could be the calm before the storm

What if Jon is working on some new TextBuffer? You wouldn’t have public consumable nightly progress during a drastic redesign.

I once hassled Jon for an API so repeatedly he finally snapped “!#$#$ hell man, I work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week”

I guess he deserves a breather :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“castles_made_of_sand”]
I once hassled Jon for an API so repeatedly he finally snapped “!#$#$ hell man, I work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week”

I guess he deserves a breather :smile:[/quote]

Actually, I’m curious: is developing ST2 Jon’s full time job, or is it just something he does in his spare time? Though it’s popularity is growing, I doubt ST2 brings in enough.

0 Likes

For a long time it was a weekend thing, with stints where Jon would work full time. Wasn’t until ST2 on OSX and @wbond’s package control that things really took off and the future was certain. I’m fairly sure it’s a full time job now. At least it was relatively recently. I’m guessing Sublime pulls in more than most would think.

0 Likes

Not sure how Jon would do this, but if he released some kind of subscription for $10 per month, I would gladly pay for it. In the world of SaaS and web apps, it certainly makes a lot more sense to actually charge per month/year. Because if he doesn’t, and sales start to slip, he’ll be more tempted to wrap things up for 2.0 and start working on 3.0 to get another round of income.

On the other hand, we can see Instapaper by Marco Arment as a perfect example how a $5 app can give you plenty of income to be an independent developer. And ST2 costs $50, so Jon would need 1/10th (even less, counting the 30% cut for Apple with Instapaper) of the customers Marco gets for Instapaper to get on the same income scale. And Marco doesn’t even get the sales boost of a new major version from existing customers because these are free on iOS. But now we’re comparing a comsumer/iOS product to a developer/desktop product, which is like comparing Apple(s) to oranges.

Just some random thoughts while we wait for a new Nightly

0 Likes

[quote=“castles_made_of_sand”]It’s only possible to be visibly productive in that mode if you have a lot of experience and are working on incremental improvements.

I’m actually more interested when there is silence, as though there’s a good chance it’s just burnout, it also could be the calm before the storm

What if Jon is working on some new TextBuffer? You wouldn’t have public consumable nightly progress during a drastic redesign.

I guess he deserves a breather :smile:[/quote]

Oh don’t get me wrong, I very much appreciate all the hard work he puts in - just seems weird we start to get nighties, then basically there is only one release. Makes me think the Bus Factor of 1 has been invoked :frowning:

0 Likes

Not a word from Jon in a few days either. Hope he’s ok…

I still think that for Jon to increase sales etc, he should invest in a new site-design, also a better forum I’d say. phpBB is awful :frowning:

0 Likes

Trying to get this a bit back on topic… :smile:

I got the following message in the 2188 nightly and it made me a chuckle a bit. Maybe increase the time before this gets thrown? :smile:

[quote]A plugin (set_unsaved_view_name) may be making Sublime Text unresponsive by taking too long (0.026570s) in its on_modified callback.

This message can be disabled via the detect_slow_plugins setting[/quote]

I went ahead and disabled the messages for now…just wanted to point it out :smile:

Thanks for the great software!

0 Likes

Because the on_modified event handler is thrown every time the user presses a key, any delay can be noticeable. The warning notifies you what plugin is causing the delay, how much time it takes, and makes the user more conscious of plugins, etc. So (0.026570s) can have an impact on performance. But yeah, if you don’t want to see the message, just turn it off. Personally, I wouldn’t mind if it said: “A plugin may be making Sublime Text …] Check this box to ignore this warning in the future.”

0 Likes