a) this is a known problem, b) I was unable to recreate it with RTerm. Can you think of a use case leading to an orphaned RTerm?
Ah, so it was known problem, sorry to retread old ground, then. In terms of (b), I cannot think offhand of an issue that causes the problem because I usually don't notice the orphans until they are sucking away at my available resources. In the upcoming days I will keep an eye on my process monitor and try to determine when the issue occurs. I have added the soft_quit option to my R config and I haven't noticed the orphan problem since. However, I've only used R a handful of times since making the change. In short, I'll keep an eye out and see if I can't give you a more thorough description of the problem.
Thanks for the help, and for your fast-as-usual response. I would've gotten a reply up sooner, but the ST2 forums have been down for me pretty much all day.