Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Postby Anomareh on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:38 pm

So, on a few forums I have been apart of there is a topic called 'Simple Questions, Simple Answers'. Basically, it's a thread to ask a quick question that generally wouldn't merit an entire thread.

Since I've been messing with Sublime it would seem this forum would greatly benefit from one. I often have small quick questions I'd like to ask but feel it would be spammy / overkill to make a thread to ask them. So I've decided to start one. In short, I picture it as being as if the Getting Started guide had a thread. (On a side note, I know the getting started guide has a thread, I just feel as though that thread is more for the purpose of how to improve that guide and not what this thread aims to do.)

I wasn't really sure where to stick this thread, General Discussion or Technical Support. It doesn't seem as though many questions get asked here, but Technical Support seems to be better suited for bug reporting, so I decided to stick it here. If it's felt that it's better placed elsewhere feel free to move it and also if it's felt that there is no need for such a thread, likewise feel free to delete it.

Any who, I hope this ends up being helpful.

I had a question to start this thread off, but as I was typing this I have forgotten it! :s
Anomareh

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Postby jps on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:27 am

Since there aren't any simple questions yet, I'll give a simple feature: Has anyone ever used the 'Preserve case' button in the replace panel? It can be handy, but I don't think the replace panel sees much use in any case, that's certainly the case with me.
jps
Site Admin

Postby Anomareh on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:12 am

Ah nice. I haven't even needed to replace anything yet but just tested that out. Could come in quite handy.

I also remembered my question! Is there an easy way to turn on vertical rulers? In Notepad++ it would mark all tabs with a light dotted vertical ruler so you could easily tell what section of the code you were in when you have a lot of nested sections. Like so.

I assume it's with:
Code: Select all
# Columns in which to display vertical rulers, space separated
rulers

Though it's not doing anything for me right now and I'm not sure what parameters it accepts.
Anomareh

Postby jps on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:23 am

Set it to, say, 80, to have a ruler drawn in the 80th column, i.e., in the console, type view.options().set('rulers', '80'). It's handy if you're trying to keep to an n character limit.

It's not like the indentation indicators in the screenshot you linked to, though I expect that's just rendering tab characters so that they look like vertical rulers: you can turn on visible whitespace in sublime, but it's not drawn the same way.
jps
Site Admin

Postby samkerr on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:47 pm

but I don't think the replace panel sees much use in any case

I'm going to have to disagree with you Jon. I frequently use this panel. It's really invaluable when I'm trying to do cryptographic work and need to do lots of case sensitive and specific replacements.
samkerr

Postby EJ12N on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 pm

samkerr wrote:
but I don't think the replace panel sees much use in any case

I'm going to have to disagree with you Jon. I frequently use this panel. It's really invaluable when I'm trying to do cryptographic work and need to do lots of case sensitive and specific replacements.

Yes I think it should stay I've used but not very often, I usually just do (?i) in the regex, What I would like is shortcuts to select/unselect the options in the find/replace panel...

for example to toggle regex matching something like alt+r, then toggle search in selection, alt+s, etc... I hate to use the mouse and select them when I'm typing the pattern to find/replace... e-text had this.
Not a biggie but useful/productive :)
EJ12N

Postby vim on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:54 pm

i too have used the preserve case option. as EJ12N, not too often, but when i did, it was a time saver.
vim

Postby Anomareh on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 pm

Is there any quick and easy way to change the functionality of opening new files? I'd rather have them open furthest to the right rather than to the right of the currently active file. Nothing major, just a small annoyance.
Anomareh

Postby ilya on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Anomareh wrote:open furthest to the right rather than to the right of the currently active file

+1
ilya

Postby jps on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:34 am

I'll add an option for this in the next beta
jps
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion