Sublime Forum

Can't Paste in Windows 7 - Sublime Text 2 2181

I was not able to get CLCL working for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Is there a alternative application (more recently updated since 2005) that I could use to help you debug this?

0 Likes

One small bug I noticed, was that I could not close the console while text inside was highlighted. This might be intentional, but there is no notice. It was confusing at first. I didn’t make a new topic for this because of how minor this is, and that I would not of seen it if not for trying to help you debug this.

0 Likes

There have been a couple of additional changes in nightly build 2191, there will be more details in the console if pasting doesn’t work, or a workaround may fix the issue. 2191 is available to registered users only, but the changes will be rolled into a future dev build.

0 Likes

Let me know when its available for download so I can test it. What do you mean by “Registered Users”?

0 Likes

Registered = people who have purchased a license get access to the Nightly builds.

0 Likes

Didn’t know I had access to that. Great. Good thing I purchased!

0 Likes

This is the output from the console. It was working most of the day. I had just changed the layout to 2, and resized the window to fullscreen from windows 7 half screen snap. Neither of these things are related to the loss of paste before. I then heightlighted several lines and copied the contents and then tried to paste them from inside the document. I then tried to paste contents from other applications that were copied to see if I could generate any other message, all failed.

Lines originally copied -

'created' => ORM::field('datetime'), 'updated' => ORM::field('datetime'),

Console Output -

startup, version: 2191 windows x64 channel: nightly
executable: /C/Program Files/Sublime Text 2/sublime_text.exe
working dir: /C/Windows/system32
packages path: /C/Users/Khrome/AppData/Roaming/Sublime Text 2/Packages
settings path: /C/Users/Khrome/AppData/Roaming/Sublime Text 2/Settings
PackageSetup not required
Py_GetProgramName(): sublime_text.exe
Py_GetExecPrefix(): C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2
Py_GetProgramFullPath(): C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\sublime_text.exe
Py_GetPath(): C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\python26.zip;C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\DLLs;C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\lib;C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\lib\plat-win;C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2\lib\lib-tk;C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2
Py_GetPythonHome(): C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 2
catalogue loaded
found 4 files for base name Default.sublime-keymap
found 1 files for base name Default.sublime-mousemap
found 1 files for base name Main.sublime-menu
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\comment.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\copy_path.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\delete_word.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\detect_indentation.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\duplicate_line.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\echo.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\exec.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\fold.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\font.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\goto_line.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\indentation.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\kill_ring.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\mark.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\new_templates.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\open_file_settings.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\paragraph.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\save_on_focus_lost.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\scroll.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\set_unsaved_view_name.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\side_bar.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\sort.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\swap_line.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\switch_file.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\transform.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\transpose.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default\trim_trailing_white_space.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Diff\diff.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\HTML\encode_html_entities.py
Reloading plugin C:\Users\Khrome\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\HTML\html_completions.py
plugin init time: 0.223471
loading bindings
loading pointer bindings
found 1 files for base name Default.sublime-theme
theme loaded
app ready
pre session restore time: 0.791696
startup cache, total files: 89 cache hits: 89
startup time: 0.889949 (package setup was not run)
loaded 934 snippets
Writing file /C/Users/Khrome/Dropbox/GuildWars2/application/migrations/002_update_database.php with encoding UTF-8
Writing file /C/Users/Khrome/Dropbox/GuildWars2/application/migrations/002_update_database.php with encoding UTF-8
Writing file /C/Users/Khrome/Dropbox/GuildWars2/application/config/migration.php with encoding UTF-8
Writing file /C/Users/Khrome/Dropbox/GuildWars2/application/migrations/001_update_database.php with encoding UTF-8
Writing file /C/Users/Khrome/Dropbox/GuildWars2/application/migrations/001_update_database.php with encoding UTF-8
Writing file /C/Users/Khrome/Dropbox/GuildWars2/application/models/features.php with encoding UTF-8
Unable to get CF_UNICODETEXT from clipboard
Unable to get CF_TEXT from clipboard
0 Likes

Any update to this. Here is the newest console output from version 2192

0 Likes

The indications are all that there’s simply no text in the clipboard to be pasted. Can you verify that when you’re unable to paste in Sublime Text, that immediately alt tabbing to another application and pasting will result in text being pasted?

0 Likes

I can verify this, copying text from ST2 allows me to paste into other applications but not ST2. Text copied from other applications has exactly the same outcome. I’m still using 2090 though.

0 Likes

I can verify this without fail.

I am not sure why there are not more people complaining about this problem. Windows 7 is not as rare as Vista. I am using the 64bit version of ST2 on x64 OS.

It has been happening more frequently since build 2181, it is at the point where I pretty much can never paste when I need too. What more it is completely random when it will and wont work.

Is there any way we can dump the contents of the clipboard when this issue happens so you can see the data stored. Maybe another application is “corrupting” the data that ST2 is trying to get access too, and other applications might not be so specific about what they need, so they work? Just a theory. I have never worked with the Windows clipboard so I don’t know what issues could be causing this.

0 Likes

In general there’s no problem with pasting on Windows 7. As far as I’m aware it works reliably for everyone (myself included) except the users who have posted in this thread.

I’ve got a change ready for the next build that will show what types of data are on the clipboard when pasting fails, hopefully that’ll shed some light on what’s happening.

0 Likes

To shed some light on the subjet, I’m also having this problem but only when realVNC is running aside sublime text. I guessed it was a problem with realVNC keeping the clipboard access to itself but I tried when the problem happenned and I was indeed able to paste the text into another program.

0 Likes

2183 now has additional console output when paste in unable to extract any text from the clipboard.

0 Likes

Did you mean the nightly 2193 build? I’ve not bought a licence yet so cannot access this, which is unfortunate as this bug is the only thing stopping me from doing so. I’ve taken to using a second sublime window with a clipboard.txt file which I edit elsewhere and save, then select+dragging it across to where I need it :smile:

Khrome83, have you tried it yet?

I don’t use realVNC, but I do have WMware Player running all the time, but as I haven’t experienced a problem with any other application (even the really sketchy ones) I can’t see how an external program is causing the problem. Not that I’m an expert or anything though…

0 Likes

Hello, I’ve just upgraded to 2195 and ran into the problem immediately (might not be related of course), however I do now get the additional console output:

Unable to extract text from the clipboard, available formats: CF_UNICODETEXT, sublime-text-extra, CF_LOCALE, CF_TEXT, CF_OEMTEXT

Hope that’s helpful

Thanks

0 Likes

I just thought I’d chime in on the matter. I’ve been running into the same issue and it turned out that my security software (Webroot SecureAnywhere) was sandboxing the editor away from pasting things off the clipboard as part of its identity protection functionality. I also had a colleague who ran into the problem and it turned out some Iobit software he was using was keeping a tight reign on the clipboard.

0 Likes

Thank you! I run Webroot too and found it had added SublimeText to its Protected Applications with a setting of ‘Deny’. I haven’t actually had the problem for a couple of days now, so can’t tell if changing it to ‘Allow’ will fix it. I’ll leave it on Deny until it stops working again, and test it then.

This might explain why it was intermittent, maybe only certain copied strings would have triggered the WRSA identity protection?

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings!

0 Likes

Just to confirm, this was the problem. I copied some SQL and then couldn’t paste it. I then changed Deny to Allow in WebRoot Secure Anywhere’s Protected Applications screen, and could immediately paste in ST2.

So yeah, thanks for pointing this out Sqrfrk, and apologies to jps for any time wasted.

0 Likes

I’d just like to thank everyone that helped in this thread to identify the problem. I have been pulling my hair out trying to identify the issue since purchasing ST2 this past weekend. Webroot was indeed the cause. Thanks so much!

0 Likes