Sublime Forum

Am I the only one?

I am the only one who sees crazy memory usage with SublimeText? Just having 3 rather small text files open in SublimeText takes ~40megs of RAM, while those same files in Notepad++ takes ~9 megs.

I really do want to love this editor, it’s just hard to justify that kind of resource utilization. Is it just me?

0 Likes

This is largely a consequence of using the GPU for rendering - most of the memory is being taken up with the frame buffer and the font glyph cache. GDI based applications use a shared font glyph cache and the desktop frame buffer, so the memory usage of both isn’t counted against them.

If you can’t justify having an application using 50-100 megs of memory, then perhaps Sublime Text isn’t for you. While I spend a great deal of time focussing on efficiency, I’m more focussed on responsiveness than memory usage. If memory usage was a primary concern, there’d be no GPU based rendering, and hence no minimap, and no embedded instance of Python, and therefore no plugins.

0 Likes

I’ve never seen sublime pass 100MB and I keep normally 10-20 files in it…

I am a lightweight freak too but sublime justifies the 100MB anytime with its tons of time saving features… I don’t care if it used 500MB I would still use it lol…

a lot of people use Zend Studio and Netbeans IDE even tho their java based, but they have good features… still sublime light years ahead of them :smiley: in terms of text editing since sublime is not trying to be an IDE…

0 Likes

Not sure how important 40mb is - the cost of 40mb of RAM is about 1GBP.

Also, Sublime doesn’t compare badly with other apps - I have firefox running at the minute, and it’s clocking in at 135mb for 3 tabs.

0 Likes

Sublime seems like a deceptively simple program, but it has a lot packed in behind the scenes. I have 8 tabs open and it’s at 75 MB. It seems like a reasonable cost to me for all the nifty features.

0 Likes