Sublime Forum

Sidebar icons?

I will also really enjoy this feature. And it seems much more realistic than “terminal in a tab”.

0 Likes

Let me preface bu saying that my desire with this post is to be constructive.

I have no problem finding the files I need by the name of the file alone.
For example, even at a quick glance I can easily tell what each file type is in the following list.

moremoney.gif
moreproblems.jpg
Person.java
init.py

For you guys, is it difficult to tell file types apart in the above list without icons?
What else is there specifically that icons in the file tree will improve?

Again, very respectfully, the reason I ask is because I want to have a better understand on where folks are coming from here.

I feel that icons in the file tree will actually be distracting and potentially a point of controversy in regards to which icons to use - not to mention additional code to maintain for @jps.

I really like how clean Sublime Text looks without icons. In fact, I don’t think I’m the only one that could probably do without the file tree all together as I almost never have it open. Icons or no icons, it doesn’t bother me too much. But, I am still interested in hearing other programmer’s thoughts.

0 Likes

Agree 100%
I configured my projects to only show relevant file extension (it means a dozen file extension), so adding icon is useless for me.

I think people that want icon are the same that people that want their text editor does everything: file management, version control, sending mail, …
I don’t need another IDE, I want an universal text (code) editor, like ST2 is actually (and I hope it stay the same).

0 Likes

Of course this feature should be configurable, so people that don’t like icons couild turn them off.
The truth is that Some people simply like to see pretty icons alongside with filenames. This is probably more an aesthetic need than a practical. Or they just got too used to this icons that now simple could live without them. And this is not a such complicated feature that we should complain about code maintenance for jps.
So it’s just a tiny and from some point useless feature for icon-lovers :wink:

0 Likes

I find it difficult. At least make it an option to enable them.

0 Likes

I think if it’s there as an option to enable/disable it this will be great, as it’ll decrease the amount of time that you take to scan the folders/files. all you need now is just a quick glance to know the file type by it’s icon.

I found this sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/1 … e-sidebar/ while I was searching about it.

0 Likes

i would also like to see this feature added as side bar icons are really of help to make work faster and more convenient. it will also make ST more user-friendly as i have seen a lot of others have this as well. I do hope that such improvements could be made and we are looking forward on this update.keep us posted! :smile:

0 Likes

+1 YES PLEASE! Icons would make sublime look so much better!

0 Likes

I would like to add my voice to those requesting this. I find it very hard to process a large list of files like this without some visual indication of type and hierarchy.

Simply bolding folder names would make a huge improvement. Or allowing the theme styles to changes styles based on file or folder, open or closed, etc. Anything to help my brain quickly process the context of each word.

0 Likes

Giving us an api to access the side-bar to make our own changes via the plugin architecture is a good compromise. This way plugins can add their own GUI elements to the side-bar (SVN integration anyone?) without the need to clutter the experience for those that just want a basic fast text editor.

0 Likes

^^ This.

0 Likes

At risk of letting my psych background get the better of me, for those considering the pros/cons of implementing basic file icons, there’s a lot of evidence to support their use in UI design (mainly dealing with processing mechanisms relating to iconic memory & a few other areas of concern). In short, they can increase one’s ability to differentiate between given items faster without the need to dip into the bag of tricks behind language processing. Won’t comment on the extent of any impacts for a programming environment (if you’re using the sidebar vs cmd+p chances are you’re hunting for something, not to mention that the individual files kind of matter – so it’s not so much sorting them out as it is just grouping stuff mentally at the macro level).

Assuming that we’re simply looking at an extension of the sidebar API, it wouldn’t be a big deal if you want them or you don’t. Everybody wins :smile:. Sorry about the tangent.

0 Likes

Any progress?

0 Likes

you’ll work a lot faster when you don’t have to read every filename to figure out what it is.

0 Likes

+1000

0 Likes

+1 I really need this feature!!

There is a post about this ,and somebody has gave a good resolution!

http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/19274-theming-of-the-sidebar/

0 Likes

Hope it could be made into ST3: File Icon and Label Color (supported by many editors in OS X)

0 Likes

+1 for side bar icon, it’s very usefull to have this feature for working with svn and git…

0 Likes

just finished to fork the /Theme - Default/ package to add folders icons to the sidebar

github.com/1Franck/sidebar-fold … blime-text

its apply only to the folder icons but its better than nothing :wink:

0 Likes

I would like to register my approval of this feature request. I think we should try and appreciate that a number of people want the option to use sublime as an IDE, and although it does a great job of being a text editor, most of the user base are developers.

0 Likes