Sublime Forum

SFTP Performance

Hello,

I seem to have major performance issues when I’m using ST2 (dev build) over a SFTP connection. The network is not the issue though as the connectivity to the server is direct and there is no lag during any other operations communicating with server (typically 1ms response time via ping). For example, it takes a solid thirty seconds to bring up the Package Control in an editor window with a SFTP connection as opposed to it being instantaneous when editing local files. Additionally, I have had multiple issues with ST2 locking up and having to be force quit (almost always when the request involved some sort of interaction with the remote server) . I had recently come from using jEdit, where I would have twice the number of open connections and files and have no issues in performance. I’m in love with ST2 though so I would really like to get these issues sorted out. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is, has anyone experienced similar issues? Thanks in advance for your time.

Computer Specs (at work):

Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit)
Pentium Dual Core
4GB DDR3
1GB nVidia gt430

0 Likes

I presume what you mean by “using ST2 over a SFTP connection” is that you are editing files and folders mounted via sshfs? I do believe ST2 scans folders and caches content to allow the Goto File operations to be so fast. Perhaps these operations are causing other operations to become queued.

That said, I’m not exactly sure how such things should affect the performance of Package Control, unless of course the SFTP connection is saturating your incoming network bandwidth so that the list of packages takes a long time to download?

0 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly what I mean, sorry. It isn’t necessarily that it is slow to operate package control itself, it just seems there is a general lag in ST2. For example, “Ctrl + Shift + P” to trigger package control, when a local file is being edited, is instantaneous. If I try and bring that up in a window with a file open over SSH/FTP, there is an extreme lag until the window is rendered. Now I understand that there will be some performance issues with files over a network, but it’s ridiculous at times. This lag is also present in any operation if my focused window is a file across a network. For example, there is at least a 5 second delay before displaying the drop down menu from any of the options on the applications menu. Additionally, if I do not close any SFTP files before trying to close ST2, it locks up and needs to be killed. I know this sounds like a network connectivity issue, but the server is local and this has never been an issue with any other application. It is very odd though because ST2 works seamlessly as long as no network files have been accessed. Are there any good ways to debug or monitor processes of ST2 that may help me diagnose this issue? I would really like to continue using this editor. Thanks again for your time.

0 Likes