Sublime Forum

Request to allow disabling of "Preview Tab/View"

Thank you very much for trying, but this is not working.

We need from jon to Please remove the preview caused from clicks on sidebar tree, both from left and right clicks.

0 Likes

I considering quitting from this editor and community. This is the most disruptive behaviour I have seen in a software.

0 Likes

:frowning: don’t leave… we’ll miss you

0 Likes

What functionality doesn’t work for you while a file is being loaded, is it just delete and rename?

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]Thank you very much for trying, but this is not working.

We need from jon to Please remove the preview caused from clicks on sidebar tree, both from left and right clicks.[/quote]

I don’t want the preview to be disabled !!! It’s a great feature, maybe disturbing at first but very useful after.

Maybe I’m the only one here, but I don’t need (and don’t want) my text editor to be a file manager (my OS as already one) or a complete version control manager.
IMHO, you try to use sidebar for something that it was not intended for.

0 Likes

I think tito just wants an option to disable it. Seems reasonable – any user-facing feature should be toggle-able, IMO.

0 Likes

Yes, just an option to disable it. The ability to disable the feature from the clicks on sidebar would be enough.

I can’t delete/rename or use git/hg/svn or any other useful function provided by a package while a file is loading. This is expected behaviour if were opening the file. But I never opened the file. I clicked or selected it.
Think of right click revert/checkout to/cut/paste. CTRL+ Click, click, click cut/paste. This is not possible with some files at the moment.

The other unacceptable problem of this feature is that makes me lose focus of the current tab on every click.

0 Likes

FWIW, here’s another formal request to make the sidebar’s preview-on-click functionality optional.

0 Likes

I’d like to either have a disable for this, or an option to delay it while using the “Goto Anything” panel. When typing a search it loads many unnecessary file previews before the final result, which causes seconds of lag on my macbook (core2 2.53), interrupting workflow.

0 Likes

forum.valorsolo.com/viewtopic.ph … &view=next

… The only thing bugging me with the sidebar is if you click/right click an item it shows the files contents, this can be handy but I find it really annoying when I just want to right click and pick copy tag because I then have to go and click on the tab again…still looking for a way to turn that off …

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]http://forum.valorsolo.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=364&view=next

… The only thing bugging me with the sidebar is if you click/right click an item it shows the files contents, this can be handy but I find it really annoying when I just want to right click and pick copy tag because I then have to go and click on the tab again…still looking for a way to turn that off …[/quote]

To be fair, if you add the preceding sentence, it change the context:

0 Likes

The problem is clearly “the sidebar”, there is also a mention with “single click” which has nothing to do with the mentioned package. the preceding text does adds nothing.

0 Likes

I just got this error starting up sublime, no idea what caused it or why but it had a link to this post, requesting I comment so I have commented

Confused User

0 Likes

Hey jon, What about :

"Hey Tito, I understand your frustration, I’m, thinking into “adding/not adding” this, I may can get something to solve your problem by “the end of year 2050/some weeks from now”.

??

The lack of responses into what I call a serious design flaw makes me thing to leave to some other editor.

I’ve spend a lot of time writing plugins for “your” editor, trying to help me/you/others people into having more needed features, you insist into putting time in features that package developers can build, I don’t understand your thinking.

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]Hey jon, What about :

"Hey Tito, I understand your frustration, I’m, thinking into “adding/not adding” this, I may can get something to solve your problem by “the end of year 2050/some weeks from now”.

[/quote]

I have to agree, some sort of update in this thread about what’s being done to address this, even if the answer is “nothing, go away” would be appreciated

I also agree here, your bug is making me use vim more and more, which is what I moved away from to Sublime and I was really hoping Sublime would be a replacement for it.

0 Likes

This still bugs me every day. Sad to not hear anything here.

0 Likes

For what it’s worth, when I accidentally click on a file in the sidebar and the preview appears, I simply hit Command-W (“Close File”) and the preview closes, returning me to the tab I was looking at. This is on Mac-- I can only assume it works the same way on Windows?

0 Likes

From build 2198, there is a new setting “preview_on_click” for controlling the behaviour.

0 Likes

Doesn’t seem like this affects goto anything … :frowning:

0 Likes

If I open a file “foo.txt” and edit it and then I select a file “bar.txt” in the sidebar so that it is displayed
in the tab that has been used for “foo.txt”. The tab name still shows “foo.txt”.

And that is really annoying.

0 Likes