Sublime Forum

Can we please have an option for a block cursor?

Yes please, this would be really useful…

0 Likes

This would be great. Please add a block cursor option!

0 Likes

[quote=“kellishaver”]Excellent, thank you! I don’t use vintage mode, so I’ve modified it a bit to work everywhere, which was very easy to do.

Thanks a million. This makes the cursor so much easier to see!

I wish it blinked, but that’s kind of ridiculous functionality to ask for in a plug-in. Hopefully a block cursor style will be added to the official release in the future.[/quote]

I don’t know much about python. Can you share the modified code for using it everywhere to me? thx

0 Likes

[quote=“singw”]

[quote=“kellishaver”]Excellent, thank you! I don’t use vintage mode, so I’ve modified it a bit to work everywhere, which was very easy to do.

Thanks a million. This makes the cursor so much easier to see!

I wish it blinked, but that’s kind of ridiculous functionality to ask for in a plug-in. Hopefully a block cursor style will be added to the official release in the future.[/quote]

I don’t know much about python. Can you share the modified code for using it everywhere to me? thx[/quote]

Remove lines 22,23,24

if view.settings().get('is_widget') or not view.settings().get('command_mode'):
            view.erase_regions('SublimeBlockCursorListener')
            return

So that It only does

self.show_block_cursor(view)

In the file:
github.com/netpro2k/SublimeBloc … kCursor.py

0 Likes

[quote=“atomi”]

I don’t know much about python. Can you share the modified code for using it everywhere to me? thx

Remove lines 22,23,24

if view.settings().get('is_widget') or not view.settings().get('command_mode'):
            view.erase_regions('SublimeBlockCursorListener')
            return

So that It only does

self.show_block_cursor(view)

In the file:
github.com/netpro2k/SublimeBloc … kCursor.py[/quote]

thx. but it’s so not the same as what i mean for block cursor…sad… :cry:

0 Likes

You know how the saying goes: Nothing is better than something.

Wait, that doesn’t sound right…

0 Likes

I had to create a user account on the forum to be able to +1 this request. A block cursor would be really important especially in Vi command mode. Of course, the themes would then need to be able to set the cursor background and text colors.

0 Likes

+1 for this feature. Or the aforementioned Python hooks would be sufficient too.

0 Likes

+1 for a huge block cursor. And, if possible, column line highlight :smile:

Great help to follow caret when using high speed vi commands.

0 Likes

[quote=“abathologist”]If you add both of the following to “Settings - User”, you can get it be be blinky and wide at the same time:

[code]“caret_style”: “phase”

“wide_caret”: true[/code]
[/quote]

Thanks for this!

Did you find this documented somewhere? (I have never come across it before, and I thought I knew all the common places to look for options.)

Alex

0 Likes

Related, it’d be nice to see a UX enhancement to bring the user’s attention to the cursor, optionally when tab/window gets focus and optionally when the user hits a panic key (I’ve lost the cursor!). Some kind of circle zooming down to the cursor or something along those lines.

I’m losing the caret in sublime all the time, especially when keyboard switching between split panes. I suppose line hilighting helps, and block cursor would be more visible, but I’m hoping for block cursor together with virtual space so that the cursor appearance changes when in virtual space.

I suppose cursor classes and API hooks to allow us to render appearance of each class would be the most flexible approach.

S

0 Likes

@malpeli: Please checkout my new plugin called CursorRuler (announcement thread here: CursorRuler - Marks cursor position with dynamic rulers) which can do column highlighting :smile:

0 Likes

i had hoped we would have both a block cursor AND virtual spaces in ST3… mybe by the time it comes out of beta we will have these… we can only hope :smile:))

0 Likes

+1 for a block cursor.

As some other people here I had to create a forum login just to +1 this.
I’m really surprised that it wasn’t already an option.

0 Likes

[quote=“jonjac”]+1 for a block cursor.

As some other people here I had to create a forum login just to +1 this.
I’m really surprised that it wasn’t already an option.[/quote]

Agreed. The option of having a block cursor is a must in an editor like ST.

0 Likes

yes, pls block cursor. Whenever I search I loose track of the cursor. A non-blinking yellow fat block or something alike would be perfect.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor. Switched from MacVIM and miss it badly.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor.

0 Likes

+1 for block cursor

0 Likes

You can add “inverse_caret_state”: true to user preferences.

0 Likes