Sublime Forum

Unable to run package setup

Hi!

Just wanted to try out Sublime Text but have got a problem.
It installed fine, but after that when I want to launch it I get the following error message:

Unable to run package setup:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File ".\PackageSetup.py", line 163, in upgrade
    upgradePackage(pkg, pristinedir, datadir, backupdir)
  File ".\PackageSetup.py", line 156, in upgradePackage
    os.path.join(backupdir, base), inhibitOverwrite)
  File ".\PackageSetup.py", line 81, in upgradeArchive
    writeFile(fname, newar.read(f))
  File ".\PackageSetup.py", line 19, in writeFile
    with open(fname, 'wb') as fo:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Users\\felix.deimel\\AppData\\Roaming\\Sublime Text\\Packages\\User\\Readme.txt'

This happens on Win7, with UAC deactivated and an administrator account that, of course, has full permissions on the folder that throws the IOError.

Any ideas?

thx,
felix

0 Likes

I’m not sure why you’d be getting a permission denied to that location - you shouldn’t even need administrator privileges to do so. Could you simply be out of disk space?

In any case, try running with --data C:\some\other\dir on the command line, that will cause that directory to be used, and not %APPDATA%\Sublime Text - see sublimetext.com/docs/command-line

0 Likes

strange…
i tried what you suggested but the problem persists, only the path changes in the error message.
anything else to try?

0 Likes

sounds stupid, but did you check you have enough free space on your drive? maybe try other drive (like memory stick) to isolate drive problem…

0 Likes

70gb free here. will try on another disk tonight.

0 Likes

i can get it running by specifying another disk as my data directory.
very strange… any ideas whats causing this?

0 Likes

I know this sounds really stupid, but I just found out that I can’t create a file named “Readme.txt” anywhere on my disk with any program other than explorer.
I usually use Total Commander for all my file access needs and it won’t allow me to create such a file too, only explorer allows me to do so.
If I try for example to create a “ReadmeE.txt” file it works.

That’s probably the strangest thing I ever encountered on windows, and I’ve seen a lot… :wink:
Maybe there’s a hidden message… Like windows’ trying to tell me that I’ve created enough readme’s already and I should stop doing so. lol

Ok, anyway, it seems it’s got nothing to do with Sublime Text, so thx for your help!

0 Likes

another option to debug this, will be to create a new user on your system (with default settings, UAC on, admin account) and try it. this should isolate the user issue.

0 Likes

I’ve nailed the issue down to an old version of my Application Streaming tool from Endeavors (endeavors.com/).
Don’t know what exactly causes the issue but if I won’t let the application start at windows startup I can create readme.txt files again.
great! =)

0 Likes

Glad to hear you got it working - that’s an impressively strange problem!

0 Likes